Author Topic: Interesting feature in FindMyPast trees  (Read 1116 times)

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
Interesting feature in FindMyPast trees
« on: Thursday 28 June 18 14:53 BST (UK) »
I've been having a play with an FindMyPast tree for someone else, and noticed an unexpected feature.

If I follow up a hint for a birth registration, the system suggests a mother's maiden name EVEN FOR 19th CENTURY EVENTS!

Presumably they are tapping in to the GRO's database somehow.

The same facility has not appeared on their normal "England & Wales Births" database, which is where their transcription link leads to. I wonder if it will in future?
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline danuslave

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My fashion sense isn't any better now!
    • View Profile
Re: Interesting feature in FindMyPast trees
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 31 December 20 13:40 GMT (UK) »
I've just found the same thing and have contacted FindMyPast to see how they do it. Watch this space! ::)
MOXHAM/MOXAM - Wiltshire & Surrey
SKEATS - Surrey
BRETT - Kent & County Durham
and
SWINBANK - anywhere

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cuffie81

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 31 December 20 15:41 GMT (UK) »
That FindMyPast has the MMN on birth registrations has been discussed before and people had noticed it in early 2018 (although I can't find a reference for that now).

The last time I looked into this they were a bit patchy, some records had the MMN and others didn't (comparing with the GRO's own index). That might have changed since though.

One benefit, as noted by clarec on the linked thread, is that it means births can be searched on FindMyPast using MMN, without having to enter the forename or surname.
Anderson Banks Beard Brewer Caves Clarke Clinch Cooling Cuff Denton Gamble Gibson Gunn Hunt Mills Muncey Norris Notzke Reid Robinson Searle Smith Trundle Turner Weedon Wells Wilson

Offline JohninSussex

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 01 January 21 13:17 GMT (UK) »
How interesting!

One irritation in the GRO look up if you are wanting to find all the births of a particular family, is that you have to do a search for males and females separately, and then have to search in 5-year intervals.

Does this mean you can do that search in one go and specify your own date range?
Rutter, Sampson, Swinerd, Head, Redman in Kent.  Others in Cheshire, Manchester, Glos/War/Worcs.
RUTTER family and Matilda Sampson's Will:

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 01 January 21 14:12 GMT (UK) »
FindMyPast seems to have some less useful features as well. I have just been looking at the timeline for one of my ancestors and it says he was married on 12 March 1799, beside it is a link to click for the marriage record. Which I did, and it came up with no results. When I looked more closely at the search form, it had kindly autofilled for me, the Civil Marriage and Divorce box was ticked, not the Parish Marriages. So no wonder there were no results showing for a pre-July 1837 marriage.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline danuslave

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My fashion sense isn't any better now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 05 January 21 12:57 GMT (UK) »
I have received the following reply from FindMyPast

This information has been added by the GRO (General register office) to their own transcriptions by cross referencing with a third record set, we are currently in the process of adding this information to our own records, though we do not have a time frame for completion at the moment.

You can review the records here

https://www.gov.uk/general-register-office

So now we all know!
MOXHAM/MOXAM - Wiltshire & Surrey
SKEATS - Surrey
BRETT - Kent & County Durham
and
SWINBANK - anywhere

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk