Author Topic: Box from DP camp  (Read 2190 times)

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
Re: Box from DP camp
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 03 July 18 09:39 BST (UK) »
If I send 1 of you attachment PM?compress

But have just discovered that 1 of these local camps "squatters rest  I'm dictating  it's called s #quatters the names of the places in Leicester but I know about so far are tilting t i l t o n on the Hill and near Stoughton airport where a r b o t o r i u m is now I believe there was one towards Market Harborough and the squatters place was still occupied in the late 1950s and it was prefab prefabricated buildings which my grandparents lived in prefabs in 1950s in the 1980s they'd become permanent buildings so I'm really interested in hearing more about this and a Jewish lady told me that the Jewish people were kept in separate camps would really shocks me ok shops yeah so if any of you want to make any more contributions also you can post it on Leicester community radio daytime Facebook on Saturdays post and if you want to phone in this Saturday you can leave a message thanks
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 04 July 18 05:54 BST (UK) »
I went to Highfield Street but I took a photo of number 18 which was boarded up instead of number 13 my favourite Turkish restaurants is on that street so I don't mind going back anyway so so he went went to Canada and he died in Canada and we now have to find if he had children and if I can have an excuse to go to Canada and take his box to his descendants also I must go to the antique shop and tell the man that yes time traveller's have solved the story of the box within the week wow so hopefully this will encourage my boss on the radio to do history mystery every every week like to do an interview from my workshop a phone interview with me in my workshop Saturday workshop I'm doing dolls from other countries so I'll post the post about that I have to learn how to put pictures thanks everybody you're great

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 04 July 18 14:00 BST (UK) »
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 05 July 18 10:25 BST (UK) »
White Pages shows only one listing with the right surname, but it is in Toronto.

Of course, children might well have moved away from the Vancouver area.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 07 July 18 16:52 BST (UK) »
Interviewed out this.morning on communityradio...ive been findingbout moresbout DO camps

We still don't know what "sand posts "means

Here's 13 highfield street
Wherethe Lender couple live

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 10 July 18 04:18 BST (UK) »
I haven't had time to summarise print out story so far to give to antique salesman when I return box .

I know he would send it to descendants if he could we had a lot of pleasure fin ding out about this and I found another person to interview who s neighbour was a Polish lady proud of escaping the Russians who told him her story when he was a boy .

Not  sure if I can attach audio link

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 09 July 23 02:57 BST (UK) »
Asked researchers at Leicester &; Rutland family history society if they could come up with anything else .

The displaced persons camp was in sandplatz Germany + there is an image of Leena.Lindres grave .

I Have since learnt to crop photos .

So finally here's a picture. ....

nope file still too large

(A video can be found on Facebook..my history mysteries page )

Offline Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 09 July 23 03:58 BST (UK) »
You can use the Paint program to make your image smaller.  Open the image file with Paint.  Select the 'Resize' icon.  In the resize box, select 'Pixels' and make your image 500-600 pixels wide.  The height will be automatically resized in proportion.  Click 'OK.'

IMPORTANT:  Save your resized image under a NEW name.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline still_looking

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 09 July 23 09:20 BST (UK) »
Sandplatz in German is clay court (tennis), according to google translate in Estonian sandplats could mean sandpit or sand square. Maybe either meaning may make sense in terms of the box size and shape, a shoe box perhaps?
There was an Estonian tennis player called Made Lindre, born in 1939 in Hamann but I'm guessing that's just a coincedence and the surname probably isn't uncommon.

S_L