Author Topic: John Gower Jones born 21st January 1864 Llanelly Carmarthenshire  (Read 2394 times)

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Gower Jones born 21st January 1864 Llanelly Carmarthenshire
« Reply #9 on: Monday 14 January 19 18:17 GMT (UK) »
Hello

Came across this post by accident and the attached maybe of interest. They are pictures the gravestones of the Gower / Jones family and that of Cecil Gower Rees (Grandson of Thomas Jones and Elizabeth Gower's via daughter Catherine Jones who married a Rawlins Rees) and his wife. I took these several years ago whilst visiting Capel Ifan (St. John's) Pontyberem. Was not even sure why I took them at the time, perhaps intuition said they might be related in someway (I am but distantly)!

Regards

Roy

Offline BradyCMH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 15 January 19 08:11 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Roy for this. However, I do not believe, on the other evidence I have at present, that this family had anything but a most distant relationship with the one I have been researching. Names & dates don't math up as far as I can see, and the family whose details you have sent appear to have a very much more elevated and erudite status than mine. I have had considerable difficulty in separating out at least two Gower lines within the Pembrey Llanelli area, and one of these was much more connected with the land in the XIX c. than mine, who, at least when they could find work, found it underground.

Regards,
Mike
HOLLINSHED, BRADY of Orford, Suffolk, Essex, Woolley, Stockport & London; THURSTON, SYER, CRABBE, ALLDIS, RIPPER, BATTALAY, BATELL. CHANDLER of Suffolk; PARR, &LAKE & LONG, Essex; WIKE, of Bury, London & Canterbury; OPENSHAW, ORMEROD of Bury, Lancs; BROTHERSON of St. Croix; MANGNALL & CUNLIFFE of Stockport; BEECH of Broughton; BARNETT, INGRAM of Lincs & Cambs; BRODIE/BRADY  North East Scotland; PAGE, GRAY, McKENZIE, McDOWELL, HOLT & MARTIN N.Ireland

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 15 January 19 11:03 GMT (UK) »
Ah well, maybe of use to someone else. I think we may have distant links via John Gower of Pembrey (1868-1902) who married Margaret Jenkins (1868-1932). Assuming my research is right, I have distant links to Margaret Jenkins

Offline TheFancy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 04 August 22 13:25 BST (UK) »
Hello
I'm not sure if there is a link to your Gower Jones but I have a Daniel Gower Jones b. 26Nov1876 in Capel Evan,Pontyberem and died 4Dec1959 in Swiss Valley, Llanelly he was the herbalist at The Fancy.
I recall that there is a story of a Gower Jones being dug up and moved from Burry Port/Llanelli area to St John's Church in Capel Ifan, Pontyberem.

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 12 August 22 23:30 BST (UK) »
Relating to Paterchurch’s research,  would you have any details to confirm how the union of John Gower 1800 and Elizabeth Williams might i any way be connected with John Gower b.1854 (poss1853) of Pembrey who married Margaret (possibly Davies)?  John’s father was probably William Gower b. 1815 in Pembrey. The family lived at Penllwyn, Pembrey in 1861,
These Gowers were miners; is there any evidence of when they might have left the land?
Yn gywir

Although an old thread, this has had a recent addition and I have come back to it, plus in the interim I have done more work on my tree and Carmarthenshire parish records are now available on several sites. This John Gower abt 1853 of Pembrey was the son of William Gower 1813 and Mary Emmanuel 1823. He married Margaret Gower (yes same surname) on 21 Mar 1874, Pembrey. He was 21 Margaret was 18. Bachelor and Spinster of New Pil? and Level respectively. Fathers William Gower and Thomas Gower, both colliers. I have only just found the marriage. I have info on the father William Gower but not on the Thomas Gower father.

He does link to the Gowers of Pantygwenith. John Gower’s 1853 great grandfather was Moses Gower 1729-1801. He married twice, his second marriage was to a Catherine Evans or Lewis 1745-1839 and it is from this line John Gower 1853 comes from. Moses’s first marriage was to a Mary Rees 1733-1779, parents of Moses Gower 1764-1806, who is father of John Gower 1801 of Pantygwenith.

Always assuming my research is correct!

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 13 August 22 11:04 BST (UK) »
Relating to Paterchurch’s research,  would you have any details to confirm how the union of John Gower 1800 and Elizabeth Williams might i any way be connected with John Gower b.1854 (poss1853) of Pembrey who married Margaret (possibly Davies)?  John’s father was probably William Gower b. 1815 in Pembrey. The family lived at Penllwyn, Pembrey in 1861,
These Gowers were miners; is there any evidence of when they might have left the land?
Yn gywir

Screenshot from my tree

Although an old thread, this has had a recent addition and I have come back to it, plus in the interim I have done more work on my tree and Carmarthenshire parish records are now available on several sites. This John Gower abt 1853 of Pembrey was the son of William Gower 1813 and Mary Emmanuel 1823. He married Margaret Gower (yes same surname) on 21 Mar 1874, Pembrey. He was 21 Margaret was 18. Bachelor and Spinster of New Pil? and Level respectively. Fathers William Gower and Thomas Gower, both colliers. I have only just found the marriage. I have info on the father William Gower but not on the Thomas Gower father.

He does link to the Gowers of Pantygwenith. John Gower’s 1853 great grandfather was Moses Gower 1729-1801. He married twice, his second marriage was to a Catherine Evans or Lewis 1745-1839 and it is from this line John Gower 1853 comes from. Moses’s first marriage was to a Mary Rees 1733-1779, parents of Moses Gower 1764-1806, who is father of John Gower 1801 of Pantygwenith.

Always assuming my research is correct!