Author Topic: St. Peter's, Leeds, RILEY/ATHA marriage 1827  (Read 2946 times)

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: St. Peter's, Leeds, RILEY/ATHA marriage 1827
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 30 June 18 08:49 BST (UK) »
RoseHawke: When it comes to the burial records for Bramley some of the records are hard to trace?
Currently there are 2 churches, St Peter's C of E and Baptist Church.
St Peter's Church site was cleared in the 1970s leaving a grassed area but most of the headstones were photographed for posterity.
(Link to make enquiries: http://www.bramleywarmemorial.com/contact-us/)
Old photos of Bramley can be viewed on facebook https://www.facebook.com/groups/bramleymemories/
 Regards Brian
Yewdall/Yewdell/Youdall -Yorkshire

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 30 June 18 10:01 BST (UK) »
There are transcripts/indexes of the Bramley St Peter burial registers on the Yorkshire Indexers site - they can be accessed on payment of a modest subscription.

As well as Martin there's Sarah in 1846 and 3 young sons: Thomas Atha (1835), Oliver (1843) and Alfred (1844).

The fact that Martin registered Oliver's death in 1843 as "present at death" doesn't imply anything about whether Sarah was there or not. All it tells you is that Martin was there and that he saw to the registration. There's no provision for more than one person to notify a death.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline RoseHawke

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 30 June 18 14:26 BST (UK) »
True, arthurk, I was working from Sarah being listed as "present at death" on Annabella's death record. But happily it did help to narrow down the range a bit on her DoD.

RoseHawke: When it comes to the burial records for Bramley some of the records are hard to trace?

Tell me about it. Especially when trying to do something like this from 4,000 miles away! Although I suppose I shouldn't fuss, as recently as 20 years ago this would have been difficult if not impossible. Oh, and thank you for those links, Brian. I take it the war memorial folks keep the photo archives? I will definitely join the "Memories of Bramley" FB group. I'm also doing a bit of reading on the wool industry at that time as it seems the entire area was geared toward that.
Riley, Atha, Vardy, Austin

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 30 June 18 14:42 BST (UK) »
Yes the Memorial people are the keepers of the church records!
Certain a message to John Barker will bring positive results :)
 Brian
Yewdall/Yewdell/Youdall -Yorkshire

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 30 June 18 15:34 BST (UK) »
I haven't checked every entry that's been mentioned, but at least some of the burials at Bramley St Peter can be seen at Ancestry - images of original registers.

An initial quick search in the index didn't seem terribly fruitful, so possibly some of the names have got mangled in the indexing, but as I had the exact dates from Yorkshire Indexers I was able to browse straight to them.
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Offline RoseHawke

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 30 June 18 16:34 BST (UK) »
Yes, there are so many Rileys that the indices are pretty much useless for me, at least for the moment.   Just not enough info there for me to verify that it's the person I'm searching for so that I'm confident in following up (and possibly spending money) on it. I'm working my way through some of the registry images over at A* page by page. I'm pretty good at handwriting and have run across more than one instance of a tired/distracted/inahurry transcriptionist putting down a best guess which was nowhere close. I also ran across one instance where a page was skipped transcribing completely.

I've only been doing this for a few months, my sister works on it off and on, but I think she's more interested in our mum's McGlothlin side so I've left that bit to her while I concentrate on trying to x-verify the Riley connections she's come up with.

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 30 June 18 16:54 BST (UK) »
Just realised that Yorkshire Indexers have an index to baptisms at Bramley St Peter's - it looks like it might be the only baptism set that they have, but also that it might be available without a subscription. It's at
http://www.yorkshireindexers.info/forum/db/parish_baptisms.php?tabid=40

Looking at this, there were quite a number of Rileys, but I didn't see Martin.

Offline RoseHawke

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 30 June 18 17:02 BST (UK) »
I'll give it a go. If nothing else it will be interesting.

Offline RoseHawke

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 05 July 18 00:45 BST (UK) »
Just realised that Yorkshire Indexers have an index to baptisms at Bramley St Peter's - it looks like it might be the only baptism set that they have, but also that it might be available without a subscription. It's at
http://www.yorkshireindexers.info/forum/db/parish_baptisms.php?tabid=40

Looking at this, there were quite a number of Rileys, but I didn't see Martin.
arthurk, I haven't had a chance to check that out yet, but I just wanted to say that I have gotten the death record for Martin - definitely his record! 

"Superintendent Registrar's Record, Hunslett; Registrar's District Kirkstall: Died, Fifteenth of June, 1855, Male, 48 years, Clothier; Cause of death: Phthisis Pulmonasis (TB) 14 months certified; Austin Riley present at death Waterloo Lane Bramley; Registered 15th June 1855; James Rawson, Registrar"

I'm quite chuffed about this :-).