Author Topic: Farmer to Mariner?  (Read 1964 times)

Offline mtabbut

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Farmer to Mariner?
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 30 June 18 16:26 BST (UK) »
I am blown away by all of these great replies.  What a wonderful welcome.  Thank you.  I should have registered here long ago  :)  I appreciate your kindness so much.  I've been doing family research since 1988, but have really just found results the last 2 years.  I am so glad that I asked my mom about her family before she passed away.  She gave me so much info.  Amazing how her little bits of stories have been proven true. 
My great grandparents were Patrick Rossiter & Jane Codd.  They left Wexford in the 1870s and went to Liverpool.  (together?  not sure.  They married in Liverpool)
My Wexford families seem to be:   Rossiter, Cleary, Redmond, Keating, Lambert (Rossiter side)   Codd, Lambert, Doyle, Swan (Codd side)
Jane Codd's(1859-1931) parents were William Codd & Ellen Lambert from William Street. 
Patrick Rossiter's(1857-1896) parents were John Rossiter & Kitty Cleary.  Patrick was a mariner.

The family is on Griffith's valuation for Newbay under the name Cleary.  (John's in-laws)
Tithe Applotment also shows the land as being leased by John Cleary.  (Kitty's father was John Cleary)
Kitty Cleary was baptized as Kitty, she is listed as Kitty on Joseph's birth record.  She shows up in the baptisms of their children as Kitty.  I can't find a death record for her. I've tried various forms of the name & have even checked for Liverpool & other locations.  I will keep looking as there are a couple of possibilities under the name Catherine Rossiter. 

Heywood:  that is the death record that I have been looking at.  Seems to indicate that John's wife was still alive.   I don't have any other info on the other Rossiters.  Here is what I  do have:
Patrick Rossiter- moved to Liverpool (my great grand dad)
Mary Rossiter - born 1860  (Died young?)
Mary Anne Rossiter- born 1863 (no other info at this time)
Joseph Rossiter- 1866-1944   According to my mom, Uncle Joe was a nice old guy.  He lived with the family in Liverpool.  Used to joke that he owned a brewery but drank the place dry.  Never married that I am aware of.  I need to do more research on him.

Sinann- the farm looks tiny.  Just to the east of Newbay House Hotel(present day)  I know that the Rossiters were still there in 1866.  That is the last connection that I've found to Newbay. 

Culbaire- I had never noticed that John's occupation was labourer on Joe's birth reg.  Patrick Rossiter was married in 1881 and stated that his father was a farmer who was deceased. 

Sorry to be so wordy!  I can't stop once I get on a roll I guess.  Hope it makes sense.  I'm going to check those links that you all shared.  Perhaps I will find info on Patrick as a mariner out of Wexford.  I've found him on crew lists out of Liverpool. 

Thanks for everything!

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 30 June 18 17:06 BST (UK) »
Griffith's give a corn mill for the Clearys
This mill right in the 'corner'
http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V2,701719,620600,11,7
It's not there later, just the mill stream left by the looks of it
http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V2,701719,620600,11,9
so if the mill closed and they only had 1 acre that it would be no surprise if they took to the sea.

Offline mtabbut

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 30 June 18 19:10 BST (UK) »
Sinann,
Thank you for the map links.  This makes perfect sense.  Kitty Cleary Rossiter had a sister, Mary Anne.  Mary Anne Cleary married Patrick Keating.  I've found birth records for two children.  On each record, the residence is given as Newbay and Patrick Keating's occupation is miller.  (One says miller & farmer)

Thank you so much for coming up with great answers to my questions.  We will be in Wexford in August.  (I've never been to Wexford before)  We should have stayed at Newbay House Hotel! 

Thanks,
Maureen

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 30 June 18 21:04 BST (UK) »
John and Kitty only had 4 children yes?
Every family is different of course but it's possible they only had 4 because one or both parents died shortly after Joseph's birth.

The full set of images for deaths and marriages on IrishGenealogy should be online by the end of this year.

Offline mtabbut

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 01 July 18 17:10 BST (UK) »
Kitty=Christina

Thanks to the suggestions and focus from your responses, I was able to find Kitty Cleary Rossiter's death record.  I was looking at her sister's family, the Keatings & I kept seeing a person named Christina Rossiter as the person who registered different births & deaths.  She was described as being an aunt.  I was so stuck on Kitty being short for Catherine, that I never thought of this name.  It just dawned on my last night as I was staring at Kitty Cleary's baptism.  Christina Rossiter was a shopkeeper on Cornmarket in Wexford.  I found her on the 1901 census.  She passed away in 1909. 
I've also found references to Keatings & Boggans in Newbay up to the 1940s on and off.  Also connections to Ballymorris.  The Clearys had connections to a windmill there.  I can see it on the map that Sinann shared as being a ruin. 
I can't get over how helpful you all have been thanks!
Maureen

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 01 July 18 17:29 BST (UK) »
Nicely worked out, these known as names can cause all sorts of problems, I don't know how long I spent looking for a Lilly thinking it would be Lillian only to discover it was Elizabeth (common knowledge to others I discovered afterwards).