Author Topic: William Scott and Isobel Greig, 25th November 1797 Scoonie  (Read 978 times)

Offline Gordon Hughes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
William Scott and Isobel Greig, 25th November 1797 Scoonie
« on: Saturday 30 June 18 16:00 BST (UK) »
Hi,
There is a Scoonie Parish record for the marriage of William Scot(t) and Isabella Greig, on the 25th November 1797. William was from Scoonie and Isobel was from Kirkcaldie, and the marriage was apparently in Edinburgh.

I have a strong suspicion that they were the parents of my g-g-g-grandfather John Scott who was born in Leven on the 14th August 1803 (I know his DOB from his Master Mariner's Certificate) but the Scoonie parish records are very patchy. I believe that John Scott married Mary Ritchie, daughter of Robert Ritchie and Euphemia Diston (again, not from parish records but from naming patterns for their children).

I was wondering whether anyone on this group may have more information (other than that which is available on Scotlandspeople) about William and Isobel ?  I'm in touch with a couple of people via DNA matching sites and I strongly suspect our connections are in Fife somewhere in the late 1700s or early 1800s and the connection is through the Greig surname.

Thanks and regards, Gordon.