Author Topic: Negus Immigration:England>Canada  (Read 2873 times)

Offline sarah.negus84

• I have turned off my email notifications
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Negus Immigration:England>Canada
« on: Saturday 30 June 18 18:55 BST (UK) »
Trying to find information on the immigration of John NEGUS(1819-1899),his wife Harriet(nee SMITH)(1831-1885),and their two sons Francis(1849-1878)and John(1851-1898). In 1851 they lived in Barton upon Humber,Lincolnshire,England in the home of Harriet's parents Francis and Christiana,but were in Canada by 1854;their daughter Chrisana(1854-1929,md.Jordan KAY)was born in St.Andrews,Charlotte,New Brunswick. I suspect by Chrisana's birthplace that they came up from the United States but I am unable to confirm this.
Negus,Johnson,Knox,McLaren,Morrell

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Negus Immigration:England>Canada
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 30 June 18 20:16 BST (UK) »
Hi,

The Canadian Passenger Lists don't start until 1865 so difficult finding any immigration before that.  Border crossings were recorded even later 1895.  :'(

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 01 July 18 09:50 BST (UK) »
the site THE SHIPS LIST  has travellers for Canada as early as 1803 onwards worth a look I think .
yours
trevor
morters-cambs-norfolk   clements london    copas newington
went colchester essex    goodey essex -suffolk

Offline sarah.negus84

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 03 July 18 22:33 BST (UK) »
the site THE SHIPS LIST  has travellers for Canada as early as 1803 onwards worth a look I think .
yours
trevor

I tried TheShipsList but couldn't find anything. I guess if the records weren't kept until 1865 there's not much I can do unless I start looking for American points of arrival.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 04 July 18 20:53 BST (UK) »
Did try the passenger lists going to the USA - nearest was a John  Negus aged 37 years - farmer - London to New york on the American Congress - this John was a farmer.  Sadly, no trace of Harriet, Frank or young John on any lists either.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline sarah.negus84

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 05 July 18 00:03 BST (UK) »
Did try the passenger lists going to the USA - nearest was a John  Negus aged 37 years - farmer - London to New york on the American Congress - this John was a farmer.  Sadly, no trace of Harriet, Frank or young John on any lists either.

Sandra

What year would that have been?John was born about 1819,so he would have been about 35 in 1854.

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 05 July 18 14:40 BST (UK) »
Another passenger listing.....

A John Negas age 27 sailed from Liverpool to New York on the Orono (?). Arrived 19 June 1945. This would give a birth year of 1818/19.

No sign of family members.

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 06 July 18 15:55 BST (UK) »

Sandra

1852 -

Sandra

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 06 July 18 19:24 BST (UK) »
Oops!

Seems to be a typo in my post above. Year of John's arrival in New York should be 1845. Much better match to a birth year of 1818/19.

PB

We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.