Author Topic: James Holohan and Ann Darenzy (various spellings)  (Read 1945 times)

Offline Mehrtsgirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
James Holohan and Ann Darenzy (various spellings)
« on: Sunday 01 July 18 01:05 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

I am looking for any information on my 2 x great grandparents James Holohan and Ann Darenzy (various spellings - Derenzy, Direnzy, De Renzi) and their children. I believe they may have married in Dublin in 1840 and moved quite soon after to Bagnelstown (Muine Bheag) in Carlow. I also believe they lived in Kilcarrig Street at one time. They had a number of children including my great granddad Thomas in 1846 (possibly Michael, James, Margaret and John). I cannot determine their birth or death dates and I can't find anything on their other children.

Happily (sic) Thomas joined the British Army when he was 18 or I might never have found anything on him either! I visited Enniscorthy last year (from Oz) and spoke to someone who is also a Holohan (note the specific spelling) and he believes his family from Kilkenny were related to mine (he recalls family stories about relatives in Bagnelstown.) He was also of the view that the spelling of Holohan suggests James was from the Leinster area so perhaps that's why the family moved away from Dublin 'back' to James' home?

I would love to know anything at all about the family especially the siblings and would love to connect to any Holohans from the area. TIA.
Holohan, Darenzy (various), Farmer, Peacock, Formby, Hannon, Parsons

Offline noland01

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: James Holohan and Ann Darenzy (various spellings)
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 05 July 18 00:40 BST (UK) »
Hi,

See your Thomas baptised 21st September 1845 in Dunleckney Parish records with sponsors Jas. Dowling and Anne Doyle.
Parents listed as James Onagan and Anne Darenzy.

Quick look gives ? Onahan baptised to same couple on 16th July 1843 with sponsors John Doyle and Mary Quigley and Michael on 24th April 1841 with sponsors listed as John Murphy and Marianne Hurley.
Address given is just Bagenalstown in all instances.

Transcriptions available here;
http://www.igp-web.com/Carlow/Dunleckney_index.htm

See a Michael Onahan and Mary Kavanagh with address Kilcarrig with numerous children baptised in or around the same time.

Regarding the name Houlihan it is sometimes pronounced OOH NA CAN (could be the Irish version)Normally spelled Holohan or Houlihan or Honohan
Wouldn't get too het up re. spelling of surname esp. ones from the mid 19th century to be honest.

See James Hoolihan (Onahan) on Griffiths Valuation in 1844;address given as Kilcarrig
Kilcarrig is a seperate townland to Kilcarrig street which is in the town of Bagenalstown

McDonnell McDonald Gorman Cronley Colman Deegan Dunne Maher Dempsey Conlon Griffin Bergin Lalor Keys Bonham Brennan Hart(Laois) Nolan Byrne O Byrne Brady Mullen Hanaway Brennan Keeffe Reddy (Carlow)
O'Neill Doyle Donnelly Devlin  (Tyrone) Connor, Burbidge,McNally (Dublin)Hannon McCarthy (Tipperary)Healy Miley Treacy (Wicklow)Kelly (Kildare)

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline Mehrtsgirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 06 July 18 00:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks noland01 and sinann. Lots of useful information.

I wasn't aware that Kilcarrig was a separate townland so noted. I used to be less than specific about the spelling (and I take your point about the time period!) but after talking with a local Holohan and learning more about the local history I did start to look at it differently. Nonetheless, I'm sure various priests and scribes applied a lot of flexibility to their record keeping:D

Offline noland01

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 06 July 18 22:51 BST (UK) »
Hi
Looking at actual Griffiths returns you are correct in that James is living on Kilcarrig Street in Bagenalstown at that time and not in the adjacent townland of Kilcarrig
McDonnell McDonald Gorman Cronley Colman Deegan Dunne Maher Dempsey Conlon Griffin Bergin Lalor Keys Bonham Brennan Hart(Laois) Nolan Byrne O Byrne Brady Mullen Hanaway Brennan Keeffe Reddy (Carlow)
O'Neill Doyle Donnelly Devlin  (Tyrone) Connor, Burbidge,McNally (Dublin)Hannon McCarthy (Tipperary)Healy Miley Treacy (Wicklow)Kelly (Kildare)

Offline Mehrtsgirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 07 July 18 00:20 BST (UK) »
Thanks noland01. I haven't had a chance to sit down yet with the info above and focus on the Holohans. :)