Author Topic: North Wingfield Parish Registers  (Read 3013 times)

Offline marp

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: North Wingfield Parish Registers
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 05 May 19 04:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Designer Jeans,

I have the scanned image in front of me now (via familysearch).  The handwriting is simply horrendous to try to read.  However _ I do not think it is Sisley.    The name is half covered in the fold of the document but it looks to me like   ...risley faick

The line above is clearer and may be inserted  and not at all sure whether it applies.  But this says died of small pox was buried August???

If you look at other records the word "do" is in front of a place name such as Clay Cross or Tupton or Clay Lane.  However, I cannot read the place name of this record nor is there a capital letter indicating place as in the other records on this page.

I will keep trying!

Marp

Online DRH123

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 07 September 19 14:29 BST (UK) »
Just come across this. I think the place is homegate. This Derbyshire place name index shows a Holmgate in Clay Cross, which would fit well. http://www.wirksworth.org.uk/DPI-H.htm

David

Offline marp

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 08 September 19 05:43 BST (UK) »
Hi, many thanks to all the contributors to this post.

I obtained a scan of the document from familysearch and the writing is really difficult to read.  However, somethings were established by enlarging the image and getting someone with good eyesight to read the writing!

The name is NOT "isley"  /  There is a fold in the parchment/paper and the beginning of the name is obscured by the fold.  However, it was impossible to ascertain what was before "isley"  There were certainly letters with loops but that is about all.

"Do" means from.  In this case the person was 'do Holmgate"   Holmgate in those days was in the parish of North Wingfield (hence it is in those parish records) but now Holmgate is encompassed by Clay Cross.

I think I can say with certainty that the person "died of the smallpox" which refers to the 'isley" item rather than the one above.

As you can imagine I have searched for a baptismal record without success.   As this family often do not have baptismal records because of their religious affiliations this is not surprising.  Certainly several members of the family were Quakers and before that it would seem likely they belonged to a dissident Protestant group.  Some are buried in the Tupton Quaker cemetery.

I have never managed to get hold of the records held by Chesterfield library of the Tupton Quakers.  They are not digitised.   If anyone reading this has the opportunity to search for the Fauk/Fauck/Fowke family of Holmgate, North Wingield I would be most grateful.

Thanks again for your interest and your posts.

marp

Online DRH123

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 10 September 19 01:52 BST (UK) »
As you noted in your previous post, there is one letter visible before the "isley". You descibed it as looking like "r" but it is in fact a standard form of "c" used at that time. Whether there's an "S" before that can't be told from the online image, but you can be sure of the name ending "cisley".

Incidentally, the next word is "de" not "do". That's the way they usually wrote "e" in those days.

David

Offline marp

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 10 September 19 03:19 BST (UK) »
Thanks for this.   Yes the name is probably something like  ...scisley.  As mentioned in previous post the paper/parchment is folded over and obscures the beginning of the name.  There is evidence of a few loops but I found it difficult to interpret.

I did wonder whether the name could be Francis or the Latin version Franciscus but this is pure speculation on my part.   I have perused the scanned record many times and cannot find any name that relates to "..scisley".   In my view it is likely that there were other letters that preceded "...scisley". 

Any suggestions gratefully received and I will then look at this wretched scanned MS once again!

Thanks for the help,  marp