Author Topic: A long shot! I am looking for my grandfather Alexander Malcolm Truelove  (Read 3229 times)

Offline pollypringle

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I am looking for my grandfather Alexander Malcolm  Truelove born 21/8/1915-18 his army records say he was born in Cardiff but we can find no trace of him. He appeared in Birmingham just before the war and married my grandmother, his marriage certificate says father Stephen Malcolm Truelove deceased. They had children and he stayed in Birmingham until 1950 then he moved back to Cardiff where he stayed and died in 1985 losing all contact with his children.
I assume he must of had some connection to Wales so it may hold the key to his past but where do I start looking? He seems to have never been born with no birth cert. So may of been brought up in a home/ poorhouse.
I am at a complete loss where to start searching, would the Glamorgan archives be of help? I can't find him on any electoral rolls for Wales any advice greatly appreciated

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
Re: A long shot!
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 01 July 18 15:51 BST (UK) »
Ummmmmmmm, do you think he is using a different name? I looked for him, looked for his 'claimed' father nothing.....

He married Edna in 1941 in Birmingham have you looked on the 1939 register to see where he is

My great grandfather was born/baptised using one name and changed it completely also moving counties so I was in a similar position. He was married twice and wrote different 'fathers' name on each marriage cert, on the 1st he put his grandfather on the second his uncle and where his headstone is which states " lies here" he is actually 4 miles away in another grave yard
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline pollypringle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 01 July 18 16:01 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your reply I think you are right he must be using a different name. When he married Edna he was living in an area of Birmingham by a family of Trueloves William his brother Robert & son Frederick. The area 31-35 Spring hill passage keeps coming up and in 1912 a Stephen Truelove is paying the rates for that address. It feels like there must be some connection but I just can't join the dots  ??? ::) ::)

Offline Wendy2305

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 01 July 18 16:31 BST (UK) »
Hi do you have his death cert who registered his death any clues there

Offline Wendy2305

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 01 July 18 16:46 BST (UK) »
I think I have found him on the 1939 register Alexander R A Truelove

Added just thought shouldn't have put the details up but birthdate matches

Offline pollypringle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 01 July 18 17:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Wendy
His death cert gives no clues as he was registered by someone in Wales. I have him on the 39 register its Alexander M Truelove though

Offline pollypringle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 01 July 18 17:08 BST (UK) »
Ah on the 39 register it was initially recorded as Alexandra and then ra was crossed out and replaced with er

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 01 July 18 17:24 BST (UK) »
Hi have you tracked back the Willam Truelove 53 with wife Emily and family especially the Nieces Eliza 19 & Mary Ann 16 Truelove, all born Birmingham, Eliza/Mary Ann look to have mmn Atkins, at 35 Spring Hill Passage 1911?
Keyboard86

PS and the niece Sarah 21 who married a John Vincent Langford
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pollypringle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 01 July 18 18:35 BST (UK) »
Hi
Yes the neices are Williams twin brothers children (Robert) in 1881 he was imprisoned,in 1911 he went on to marry Rosina riding and they have a son in the 1911 census, Bernard but there is no birth cert etc for him