Author Topic: Nazi camps and Romany records - help wanted please!  (Read 711 times)

Offline Katharine75

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Nazi camps and Romany records - help wanted please!
« on: Monday 02 July 18 06:35 BST (UK) »
Hi all. Hoping someone will be able to help me. A friend is trying to find some more information on his ancestry. His grandfather (presumably Romany) was taken into a camp by the Nazi's during WW11 when he was about 10 or 11. Because of his Aryan looks he was used as a servant/labourer in a German household rather than remain in camp. As the allies approached the town the people from camp and those like this boy were taken into the street and gunned down by the Nazi's. He survived by pretending to be dead on the ground for two days.
The camp and town is unknown. The boy's surname has possibly been germanised. It was possibly somewhere in Croatia or Yugoslavia. As an elderly man these scant details were given to his family.

Research into this topic and region is unfamiliar territory to me! So any help gratefully received!

I know there are Jewish records available on ancestry, but am hoping that there might be records available for Romany people also.

Thanks, Katharine.

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Nazi camps and Romany records - help wanted please!
« Reply #1 on: Monday 02 July 18 09:59 BST (UK) »
Did his grandfather travel between countries after the war because I found some records on familysearch.org that were quite detailed for post WW2 immigration especially if it America was not the first port of call. Perhaps working out his Roma family name is more important that getting more details from him?

Jasenovac concentration camp was in Croatia maybe a good starting point?
https://www.ushmm.org/wlc/en/article.php?ModuleId=10005449

Almost no Roma Survived
http://www.jusp-jasenovac.hr/Default.aspx?sid=7035

:-[
Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)