Author Topic: mariner records  (Read 2078 times)

Offline schrader

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
mariner records
« on: Tuesday 03 July 18 07:30 BST (UK) »
I have a master mariner b 1800 d 1853 from North Shields, Tynemouth. Do records exist for him? and if so where? I have emailed a few museums and archives and had no response from any at all.
Would love to know anything about him & his work.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: mariner records
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 03 July 18 07:56 BST (UK) »
Start here:
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/merchant-seaman-serving-1858-1917/

or

https://www.rmg.co.uk/national-maritime-museum/caird-library?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjPbno6yC3AIVWp3VCh1W7Ar6EAAYAiAAEgImq_D_BwE

Ancestry and FindMyPast have Master Mariner records.
Try your local library if you don't have a sub. I can get access to Ancestry through my library, and access to FindMyPast through my local museum/archives.

I don't think that in these days of austerity and reduced resources, that many museums have the staff or the time to reply to emails?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline schrader

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 03 July 18 08:17 BST (UK) »
Thanking you for your reply. There are quite a few options of same name & time period in Find My Past & Ancestry so I cannot seem to determine which one is correct. But will check again and see if anything new has been put on.

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 04 July 18 00:06 BST (UK) »
Pop his name up and date of birth you never know someone may be able to help you
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 04 July 18 01:12 BST (UK) »
Hello

These large Muster Sheets in Volumes apparently are not complete sets, but the ones they filed into large Volumes. Each volume take several hours page by page, (eyes get tired looking down lists for a name, sheet after sheet). I couldn't find the Master / Mariner I was looking for, sailing out of Shields.

There are over 100 volumes of Muster Rolls etc., for Shields alone in BT 98.

Some of the Muster Rolls were destroyed in 1876 but the surviving Boxes number 6,944. Suggesting there must be nearly 7,000 volumes?

Information about BT 98 from 1747 to 1860
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C3139

You will need a 'Readers Ticket' as they are original volumes, so see their "Visit Us" section, as to the ID required to prove who you are and where you live.

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r/10?_ep=Shields&_cr=BT%2098&_dss=range&_ro=any&_st=adv

Visit Us
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/about/visit-us/

You may be lucky, but expect a very very lengthy hunt if the voyage finished at another British Port, because some were apparently completed at the destination Port, when Seaman were paid.

Can't remember who it was, but one of the ... 'Who Do You Think You Are' programs had an Ancestor who was a Mariner in the North-east. Got a feeling it was Cheryl Tweedy, alias Cheryl Cole, alias Cheryl Fernadez Versini (from Newcastle upon Tyne) and the Researchers found stuff in local places in the North-east.

Mark

Offline schrader

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 04 July 18 01:36 BST (UK) »
Thanks Mark,
                 I did watch WDYTYA programme & contacted the places they talked about and got not one reply.
Think my best option is when I come over to England( live in Australia) to spend time there and go through whatever is available.
Thank you for your information, it is much appreciated.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 04 July 18 06:25 BST (UK) »
As Radcliff said - tell us the name, and date-of-birth (or just a year).
There are many RootsChatters who will help you find the information you are seeking ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline schrader

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 04 July 18 07:14 BST (UK) »
Robert Richardson b 1799/1800 Newcastle
dcd  1851 Newcastle

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 04 July 18 07:40 BST (UK) »
Smashing so you have researched Robert Richardson,birth circa 1810,a master
born circa 1810 North Shields
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,