Poll

What Country is your main research centred on ?

England and Wales
1817 (49.8%)
Ireland
749 (20.5%)
Scotland
688 (18.9%)
Emmigrants
244 (6.7%)
Immigrants
151 (4.1%)

Total Members Voted: 2500

Author Topic: What Country is your research ?  (Read 283608 times)

Offline yorkshirelass

• I am sorry but my email is not working anymore
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: What Country is your research ?
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday 19 October 04 10:11 BST (UK) »
hi

i've not been doing this for long but my main search is in Sheffield. Up to now its just the same pattern in the line i'm following, same house, same christian name and same job (cutlers) back to early 1800's. Be interesting to see what happened before the steel works became so big. And before that house was built ha ha......

must admit, my great, great, great grandad's name changing from Frederick to William really threw me   :-\   ;)

Offline down-under

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 21 October 04 01:44 BST (UK) »
Mine are just around worcester, warwickshire, hereford the birmingham area.
 Allthough my father when he was in the Royal Marines 1924-1936 had the jolliest time by all accounts (So you never know!!!). 
 I am a 10 pound pom in Australia came out on my own and married a Australian. Planned to go back home to live but stayed here and love it
I did think someone else in the family emmigrated, it was of my fathers generation .
I still say home for Uk I lived in Kitts Green Birmingham till I turned 21 in  the November and left for Australia soon after.

Regards Pam

oakley, Leadbeater, Hemming, Jones, Pearsall, Page,------ Aston, Leominster, Balsall Heath, Tewkesbury, Kings Norton, Birmingham.

census information are crown copyright of www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline leagen

• RootsChat Senior
  • Researching Family from Ireland during potato fam
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Friday 22 October 04 04:36 BST (UK) »
Family history says our JENJINS family came from County Cork in Ireland during potato famine between 1842 and 1846.  We think they went first to Que., Canada then were in Chateaugay, Franklin County, New York by 1850.  I am finding research for Ireland very hard, few records actually online. John JENKINS (m) Mary/Maria SALMON DWYER.  Both (b) late 1700's to mid 18teens, ages changed at each census, seems no one remembered their age but I tend to believe more the age they gave when they were younger.
Jenkins-Salmon-Dwyer-Hill-Sargent/ Seargent-Young/ Jung-White-Kinney/ Kenny-Cook-Waterman-O'Neill-McDonald-Shufelt/ Shufeldt-Wilbur/ Wilber-Patterson--Covey-Tisdale-Wells-Dodge-Palmer.

Offline leagen

• RootsChat Senior
  • Researching Family from Ireland during potato fam
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Friday 22 October 04 04:41 BST (UK) »
Should have previewed my last post, it should read JENKINS at start  not JENJINS.
Jenkins-Salmon-Dwyer-Hill-Sargent/ Seargent-Young/ Jung-White-Kinney/ Kenny-Cook-Waterman-O'Neill-McDonald-Shufelt/ Shufeldt-Wilbur/ Wilber-Patterson--Covey-Tisdale-Wells-Dodge-Palmer.

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Sunday 24 October 04 23:35 BST (UK) »
leagen,

Don't worry about it we all make plenty of mistakes (my spelling and typing is terrible) - if you spot you have ade a mistake, just press the "modify" button after you have posted your message, and nobody will be any the wiser!

Trystan
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

mobo

« Reply #41 on: Wednesday 27 October 04 17:10 BST (UK) »
 :) :) :) :)

My research is for the BUCKLEY family in Cheshire & Lancashire, The EDGSON family in Rutland, Leicestershire, & Lancashire, The MORRIS family in Bedfordshire, Huntingdonshire & Lancashire, the SWARBRICK, TURNER & WILLIAMSON families in Lancashire, and the DUNNE & McNULTY families in Ireland

Mobo[/color]

Offline jewell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Thursday 28 October 04 23:58 BST (UK) »
England seems to be my  primary ground...both sides of the line.  Now if I could only get a better understanding of the various counties in the land I might have a better understanding of where places are and their proximity to other areas...geesh, wish I had paid more attention in geography class when we studed Great Britain although I think our primary focus was on the provinces of Canada!! ???

My mother's family always hung on to the story that my grgrandmother was some sort of blue blood or at least carried the title "Lady"....not too sure how high up the aristocratic line..but some where in the group.  Well so far all I have found is that she appears to have been a store clerk and laundress...must be a new realm of aristrocacy I'm not familiar with!  ;)

But I keep plugging on and who knows maybe there is a drop of blue in these veins yet to be discovered  ;D

So England is the place with all its county "shires" that I can neither pronounce, spell nor relate to.  But thank you for this wonder site and the great people who take pity on my simple questions and state of ever confusion providing wonderful advice, information and suggestions on my continued quest to find my crown and castle....but the truth would just be fine.  :) 
Jewell

Mitchell; Wiltshire; Boxall; Walsh; Bristol/Gloucestershire area; Croydon/Surrey area

Offline Myfi!

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • flora
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday 10 November 04 16:23 GMT (UK) »
Maybe it would be easier to ask....Where aren't u researching??????

Sometimes I can't remember who came from where, married whom and who was named what!!!

I am researching England.....(countless counties!)..........India..(some odd sounding places-which are now in Pakistan ???)............Aden...(south Yemen, Africa or sumthing).............Ireland...(but theres no records left!!!)..........and then of course theres all those births in numerous other countries along the way, just to add to my utter confusion!

Maybe my life would be simpler if I hadn't asked those first questions of my origin!! :-\

Sharon :)

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
BERRY-Wexford, Ireland>England
BERNEY- Tullowbeg, Co. Carlow
MUSTY- Oxfordshire>Wiltshire>India
PUFFITT-Filkins,Oxfordshire
HARNESS- EastRiding,Yorks. & Lincolnshire
LANE- India
STOLLERY-Suffolk
HERCLIFF -East Riding, Yorks

RIP 2012

ABBAY/ABBEY Yorkshire to St.Petersburg Russia

Offline monica

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Thursday 11 November 04 21:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi there! I'm researching  mostly Ireland (Westmeath)
my greatgrandmoter's parents Patrick Simon/simmons and Mary Kennedy were from there around 1850/60.My greatgrand mother name was Briget Emily end she ended up in China!! (Honk Kong) around the end of 1800 or very beginning of 1900 there she married Prosper Francis D'Agustine from Corsica but by then an Engiish citizien teacher  at the Queen’s college in Honk Kong there in 1903 was born my grand mother Olive Kathleen Simons/Simmons-D'agustine. To that end the research is very difficult because I can't find any records for the British Colonies. My grand mother Olive travelled wiyh her family all  over the British Empire ,Malta and ended up in Italy were she married an Italian  etc 
Help Pleeease!
Ciao
Monica