Poll

What Country is your main research centred on ?

England and Wales
1707 (50.2%)
Ireland
681 (20%)
Scotland
637 (18.7%)
Emmigrants
233 (6.9%)
Immigrants
142 (4.2%)

Total Members Voted: 2330

Author Topic: What Country is your research ?  (Read 203432 times)

Offline petrochemist

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: What Country is your research ?
« Reply #783 on: Tuesday 15 January 19 14:26 GMT (UK) »
My father was Dutch, a grandmother Belgian & a great grand mother German. So mainland Europe features quite heavily!
Things get even more complicated however, my Father in law was born in India, and several of his relatives were/are resident in New Zealand.
Of course there are also branches of my tree that have emigrated to America, South Africa, Australia...
The only continents I don't know of are South America & Antarctica!

Despite the wide spread most of my successful research has been with relatives in England. Fortunately it's helped by both Mother & father having uncommon surnames ;)

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: Wednesday 16 January 19 06:03 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat.  Don't be afraid to post any queries or brick walls you are stumped with. Plenty of knowledgable and helpful people on here.   :)
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Carrington, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Bentham, Holloway, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Yorks, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline gales

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: Wednesday 16 January 19 21:16 GMT (UK) »
My Research Mostly USA also United Kingdom and Ireland.  Not having much luck with Ireland.
 Great Grandmother is from Monroe New York.  For the past 10 years struggling to find details of her Grandmother.

Offline Elliven

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: Sunday 10 February 19 17:32 GMT (UK) »
Immigrant Polish Airmen during WW2.  But imagine my surprise when I found that a lot of them were actually born in Latvia, Lithuania, Estonia, Germany, Russia and, following WW2 changes, the birth places of many who were actually born in Poland were now in Belarus and the Ukraine.  It's confusing but interesting!

Offline Creasegirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: Sunday 10 February 19 18:29 GMT (UK) »
Would like to research more Swiss records from lausanne as my great grandmothers family the valets were from lausanne.  my ggg grandfather was a Theodore valet who was a farmer.
Garnock (lothian, fife)
Valet (london, switzerland)
Butcher (ramsgate, glasgow)
Blackbird (durham,  newcastle)
Barr (ayrshire, ireland)
Fleming (paisley)
Crone, croney ,(dumfriesshire, ireland)