Poll

What Country is your main research centred on ?

England and Wales
1820 (49.8%)
Ireland
752 (20.6%)
Scotland
688 (18.8%)
Emmigrants
244 (6.7%)
Immigrants
151 (4.1%)

Total Members Voted: 2504

Author Topic: What Country is your research ?  (Read 286130 times)

Offline petrochemist

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: What Country is your research ?
« Reply #783 on: Tuesday 15 January 19 14:26 GMT (UK) »
My father was Dutch, a grandmother Belgian & a great grand mother German. So mainland Europe features quite heavily!
Things get even more complicated however, my Father in law was born in India, and several of his relatives were/are resident in New Zealand.
Of course there are also branches of my tree that have emigrated to America, South Africa, Australia...
The only continents I don't know of are South America & Antarctica!

Despite the wide spread most of my successful research has been with relatives in England. Fortunately it's helped by both Mother & father having uncommon surnames ;)

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: Wednesday 16 January 19 06:03 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat.  Don't be afraid to post any queries or brick walls you are stumped with. Plenty of knowledgable and helpful people on here.   :)
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline gales

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: Wednesday 16 January 19 21:16 GMT (UK) »
My Research Mostly USA also United Kingdom and Ireland.  Not having much luck with Ireland.
 Great Grandmother is from Monroe New York.  For the past 10 years struggling to find details of her Grandmother.

Offline Elliven

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: Sunday 10 February 19 17:32 GMT (UK) »
Immigrant Polish Airmen during WW2.  But imagine my surprise when I found that a lot of them were actually born in Latvia, Lithuania, Estonia, Germany, Russia and, following WW2 changes, the birth places of many who were actually born in Poland were now in Belarus and the Ukraine.  It's confusing but interesting!

Offline Creasegirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: Sunday 10 February 19 18:29 GMT (UK) »
Would like to research more Swiss records from lausanne as my great grandmothers family the valets were from lausanne.  my ggg grandfather was a Theodore valet who was a farmer.
Ferguson (st fillans, comrie)
Garnock (lothian, fife)
Valet (london, switzerland)
Butcher (ramsgate, glasgow)
Blackbird (durham,  newcastle)
Barr (ayrshire, ireland)
Fleming (paisley)
Crone, croney ,(dumfriesshire, ireland)

Offline Cutchie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: Thursday 21 February 19 17:45 GMT (UK) »
Ireland

Offline ankerpep_52

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: Wednesday 13 March 19 01:20 GMT (UK) »
My Scandinavian research is Aarhus and Skanderborg Counties in Denmark-Fathers side.  On mothers side its Enland, Northumberland, Durham, Derbyshire(mothers fathers side) and Berkshire, Hampshire,London including Grtr London, and middlesex on mothers mothers side)  Its been an interesting ride.  One of moms uncles went to New Zealand with the bank.
A great grand uncle on Grandfathers side went to Glasgow Scotland and died there.
Have a few families with brick walls, but happy so far with what I have back to the 1809 yrs for a few.  Ankerpep_52 (Janet)
BOKOTA-Hampshire & Surrey/ SI(Y)MONDS-Kent, Ldn PAPANICOLAOU-Hampshire /HARTLEY- Derby&Ldn/ SMITH-Ldn/ COLE-Hants & Ldn/ CREED-Berks, Ldn, Oxfordshire/ BRADLEY, DOCWRA & LAND- Islington &Kent/  HUMPHERSTON-Ldn./ ALLEN-Ldn & Surrey/ DOWNEY & DAVIDSON & FITCHARD-NBL & Durham, HARTLEY-Montreal QC Canada
RASMUSSEN-Storring Arhus,& SORENSEN,& JENSEN- Veng,& Hjelmslev, Skanderborg Denmark/HANSEN-Fejo,Fuglse,Maribo,DK

Offline PaulThommo

• RootsChat Senior
  • Steady Aim
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: Wednesday 13 March 19 03:49 GMT (UK) »
My father was from Gateshead, Co. Durham but we emigrated to north of the Tyne to Newcastle (the only ones to do so). His father and family were from South Shields. When I started research I found that nearly all of my extended family were born and died in S/S and to this day so many of them must still be living there. I have been to S/S a few times to do research and look at graves and streets/houses that my ancestors lived in and I wonder as I walk around there am I walking past distant relatives, even people who walk past me and say "hello" could be related. Will never know but a strange feeling.
Thompson - Stokesley, Great Ayton, Little Ayton &  Easby Nth Yorkshire. Westoe, South Shields, Gateshead
Dobson - Westoe & South Shields
Jefferson - South Shields
Rippon - Jarrow & South Shields
Purves & Harvey - South Shields

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: Wednesday 13 March 19 04:19 GMT (UK) »
Who is looking out of the cab. Paul Thommo ?

A photograph on the internet...………….. Ex-LNER Class A2/3 4-6-2 No. 60512 Steady Aim has come off the viaduct over the Caledonian Main Line at Kingmoor with the 9.20am Carlisle Citadel to Edinburgh Waverley train during April 1961. At this time, only five passenger trains each way ran the full length of the Waverley Route on weekdays, the others operating over part of the route only. [S.C. Crook/ARPT]

Last time I was in South Shields was for the Catherine Cookson exhibition at the library.