Poll

What Country is your main research centred on ?

England and Wales
1820 (49.8%)
Ireland
752 (20.6%)
Scotland
688 (18.8%)
Emmigrants
244 (6.7%)
Immigrants
151 (4.1%)

Total Members Voted: 2504

Author Topic: What Country is your research ?  (Read 286128 times)

Offline PaulThommo

• RootsChat Senior
  • Steady Aim
    • View Profile
Re: What Country is your research ?
« Reply #792 on: Wednesday 13 March 19 04:33 GMT (UK) »
Who is looking out of the cab. Paul Thommo ?

A photograph on the internet...………….. Ex-LNER Class A2/3 4-6-2 No. 60512 Steady Aim has come off the viaduct over the Caledonian Main Line at Kingmoor with the 9.20am Carlisle Citadel to Edinburgh Waverley train during April 1961. At this time, only five passenger trains each way ran the full length of the Waverley Route on weekdays, the others operating over part of the route only. [S.C. Crook/ARPT]

Last time I was in South Shields was for the Catherine Cookson exhibition at the library.

Hi Barry, yes a much younger version of me circa 1966 taken (from memory) at Perth shed while the last remaining A4's & A2's finished off their lives on the Aberdeen - Glasgow expresses.

It's nice to see that part of the Waverley route has been relaid and is proving very popular. Whether it will eventually get to Carlisle we will have to wait and see.
Cheers, Paul
Thompson - Stokesley, Great Ayton, Little Ayton &  Easby Nth Yorkshire. Westoe, South Shields, Gateshead
Dobson - Westoe & South Shields
Jefferson - South Shields
Rippon - Jarrow & South Shields
Purves & Harvey - South Shields

Offline aglita

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: Sunday 09 June 19 23:21 BST (UK) »
Trying to locate my great great grandparents and their ancestors. I have a family bible but am confused in that the name at the top of the family page isn’t that of my great great grandmother. I know from death certificates that my great great grand mother was Hannah simpson(maiden name Smith) who was married to Benjamin John Simpson.  14 children are listed but the name at the top is Harriet Mcallister. The Bible was made in Edinburgh Scotland but my ancestors came from possibly Kildare Ireland, my great great grandparents may halve been born around 1820 possibly around celbridge Ireland for my great great grandfather Benjamin John Simpson and my great great grandmother may have been born around Kildare Ireland’s. Trying to figure out where Harriet mcallister fits in?

Offline PaulThommo

• RootsChat Senior
  • Steady Aim
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: Monday 10 June 19 02:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Aglita, can't help you with your query sorry, but I think it best if you started a new thread with your question as this one is for a different subject. It will reach more people who may be able to help you with their expertise.
Best of luck, I'm sure someone will be able to assist you. Paul
Thompson - Stokesley, Great Ayton, Little Ayton &  Easby Nth Yorkshire. Westoe, South Shields, Gateshead
Dobson - Westoe & South Shields
Jefferson - South Shields
Rippon - Jarrow & South Shields
Purves & Harvey - South Shields

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #795 on: Monday 10 June 19 09:34 BST (UK) »
aglita has a thread on the Kildare board if anyone has anything which can help
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=814152.msg6750368#msg6750368

Offline jim234j

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: Tuesday 16 July 19 21:16 BST (UK) »
On my tree I am mainly looking in England and a bit in Ireland and Canada and USA and Australia.
But the main for me would be England.  My paternal side is Durham and Northumberland and my maternal, London Kent and Devon.

For my wife.   Her ancestors hailed from mainly East Sussex and on her paternal line her line can be traced back Five years after Quebec City was founded so looking in Canada but mainly Quebec records.

I have a great deal of help and advice on these boards on the Northumberland board.   People on there have gone out of their way to help me and its not easy with surnames like Johnson and Brown.

Offline history11

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: Saturday 27 July 19 23:49 BST (UK) »
i have family all over the world
there is a lot of them are from ireland on both side of my family

Offline Johnf04

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: Sunday 28 July 19 01:13 BST (UK) »
Not enough options in that poll....my family has branches in England, Ireland, Scotland, Australia, New Zealand and the United States. Add my wife, and Norway and Canada are added to the list.
Farrell  - Ayrshire
Cairns - Ayrshire
McCann - Ayrshire
Brown - Ayrshire
Petty - Yorkshire, Durham
Lucas - Staffordshire, Durham
Whitaker - Yorkshire
Thackrah - Yorkshire
Stephenson - Durham
Marshall - Yorkshire
Walker - Staffordshire, Southland New Zealand
McCullough -  Antrim, Southland New Zealand,
Cavanagh - Galway, Southland New Zealand
Anthony - Tipperary, Southland New Zealand
Bath - Cornwall, Tasmania, Southland
Brungot - Alesund, Norway; Southland
Bonthron - Fifeshire, Southland

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: Sunday 28 July 19 11:14 BST (UK) »
Not enough options in that poll....my family has branches in England, Ireland, Scotland, Australia, New Zealand and the United States. Add my wife, and Norway and Canada are added to the list.

This poll isn't trying to include ancestry from all over the world. Since Rootschat is U.K. based then the choices are quite logical.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: Tuesday 03 September 19 16:47 BST (UK) »
I think of myself as half Scottish but now I've traced tree back to 1790.'s ifind a few of my Scots branches had people born in Ireland
Glasgow copper miners just nipped back and in 1906 the 1 of my  grandfather's 11 siblings had a child in Belfast tho returned to Cambuslang for 2nd child in 1910 my father & aunt born in the 30's Scotland but most other cousins emigrated or were born USA Australia or south Africa or England ..I've not traced them all .I think my aunt is the only 1 still living
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson