Poll

What Country is your main research centred on ?

England and Wales
1820 (49.8%)
Ireland
752 (20.6%)
Scotland
688 (18.8%)
Emmigrants
244 (6.7%)
Immigrants
151 (4.1%)

Total Members Voted: 2504

Author Topic: What Country is your research ?  (Read 286211 times)

Offline Marla

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: What Country is your research ?
« Reply #351 on: Friday 22 January 10 00:09 GMT (UK) »

Monica,

I'm sorry. . . I didn't include my name.  If you have any idea which colony she came to, approximate dates, etc., there may be some suggestions I can give you.  Many, many people came into a few ports and some information can be found on passenger lists from ships, etc.  Also, the Mormons have a website and can find so much.  I think they will do five or six hours of research at no cost, but after that, if you want them to do more, it can cost.  However, they have so much information!! I am sure they could give you a good start! :D

Marla

Moderator Comment:  text changed, as original colour hard to read.

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: Wednesday 27 January 10 16:03 GMT (UK) »
Monica, have you tried the British Embassy Archives.  I am sure that there was an Embassy there at the time, or a consulate general.  National Archives covered by the BBC.; wasnt around that time that we had to get out of China.  China themselves may well have a list of aliens living in China at that time, but whether they would allow you access to them is another matter.  And again, we had to leave more recently from Hong Kong (Christopher Patton was it) when the treaty came to an end.
Definately the British Government would have some details or point you in the right direction.
Has anyone got a link to the national archives.

marcie
Scotlandorkney flett bell, strickland laird traillcalqahoun.
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet

Offline Rabbit B

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1937 - 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: Wednesday 27 January 10 22:06 GMT (UK) »
Monica, have you tried the British Embassy Archives.  I am sure that there was an Embassy there at the time, or a consulate general.  National Archives covered by the BBC.; wasnt around that time that we had to get out of China.  China themselves may well have a list of aliens living in China at that time, but whether they would allow you access to them is another matter.  And again, we had to leave more recently from Hong Kong (Christopher Patton was it) when the treaty came to an end.
Definately the British Government would have some details or point you in the right direction.
Has anyone got a link to the national archives.

marcie

Hi Marcie,

Good idea, try this one to start you off Monica,

http://www.rootschat.com/links/07xu/

Incidentally, I cannot read your yellow writing, there are some people on the board who cannot see as well as you can  8)

Would you be kind enough to clarify it for us!  Thank You  ;)

Rabbit B  ;D
Conning/London
Wareham/Winchester
Hart/Cambridgeshire
Burns/Byrne/Liverpool and Ireland
Nibbs/London
Brealey/Staffordshire
Melbourn/Melbourne/Cambridgeshire
Hoyle/Liverpool
Relf/Sussex

Offline missgoldy79

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: Monday 08 February 10 06:05 GMT (UK) »
I'm currently researching Ireland... my grandmother gave me a whole lot of paperwork regarding her family and has asked me to sift through it! Keeping me very busy...

Offline Lydart

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: Monday 08 February 10 09:21 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat Goldy ... it might help people to help you if you filled in (on your profile) the country or county you live in, so you avoid the problem of people (for e.g.) advising you to check out a particular record office which is 5000 miles from your home ! 

Not compulsory if you choose not to, but it helps !
Dorset/Wilts/Hants: Trowbridge Williams Sturney/Sturmey Prince Foyle/Foil Hoare Vincent Fripp/Frypp Triggle/Trygel Adams Hibige/Hibditch Riggs White Angel Cake 
C'wall/Devon/France/CANADA (Barkerville, B.C.): Pomeroy/Pomerai/Pomroy
Som'set: Clark(e) Fry
Durham: Law(e)
London: Hanham Poplett
Lancs/Cheshire/CANADA (Kelowna, B.C. & Sask): Stubbs Walmesley

WRITE LETTERS FOR FUTURE GENERATIONS TO TREASURE ... EMAILS DISAPPEAR !

Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rabbit B

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1937 - 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: Monday 08 February 10 11:53 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat Goldy ... it might help people to help you if you filled in (on your profile) the country or county you live in, so you avoid the problem of people (for e.g.) advising you to check out a particular record office which is 5000 miles from your home ! 

Not compulsory if you choose not to, but it helps !

Hi Missgoldy79,

I do agree with Lydart.

Some of us are also researching Ireland, so you never know you might have a reli or two already on this board! 8)

Rabbit B  ;D
Conning/London
Wareham/Winchester
Hart/Cambridgeshire
Burns/Byrne/Liverpool and Ireland
Nibbs/London
Brealey/Staffordshire
Melbourn/Melbourne/Cambridgeshire
Hoyle/Liverpool
Relf/Sussex

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: Monday 08 February 10 14:55 GMT (UK) »
My father was Dutch and my children were born in Berlin, Leeds, Minden West Germany and Milton Keynes.  Now.......where did i leave my big earings and head scarf?

I know that this was a while ago, but I take it that you or your spouse were in the forces.  Which does make them British.  But what if you weren't, would the children be classed under the country in which they were born? Just a thought! ???
marcie
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: Monday 08 February 10 15:04 GMT (UK) »
Recently I had a communication with someone who said that one of her ancestors was an Agnes O'May who had a sister Janet O'May apart from others. Their parents were William O'May and Margaret Milloy. These people are the same as mine and has given me a connection to the rest of this family.  But she has them all as being born in Scotland, no sign of Irish anywhere and I know that is not correct as William stated on one of the census 1841 that he had come over from Ireland, (though he did not specify a county) and so did my 3x grt.grandfathers father his wife and siblings.  The only one of that family that was not born in Ireland was Hellen, she was born in Renfrewshire.  I think she has her source from family members and not from GROS.  Should I complain?, it means that I can include family kmembers I could only otherwise have dreamt of ever finding.

marcie
 searl rogers sutherland

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: Monday 08 February 10 15:16 GMT (UK) »
Just to add, I khave left researching irish ancestors until I can get a list together and go over to try and find their roots.  Or better still until ireland decides to open their books to allow irish descendants access.

searl rogers sutherland