Poll

What Country is your main research centred on ?

England and Wales
1817 (49.8%)
Ireland
749 (20.5%)
Scotland
688 (18.9%)
Emmigrants
244 (6.7%)
Immigrants
151 (4.1%)

Total Members Voted: 2500

Author Topic: What Country is your research ?  (Read 283618 times)

Offline Jeuel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: What Country is your research ?
« Reply #441 on: Monday 26 July 10 11:56 BST (UK) »
My family are very firmly English and south of the Wash.  You can draw a diagonal line from Cornwall (Mum's side) through Gloucestershire (Mum) Warwickshire (Dad) Oxfordshire (Mum) Buckinghamshire (Mum) with detours to Cambridge (Dad) Essex (Mum) and Norfolk (Dad).

Despite the rural beginnings, my Dad was born in Stoke Newington, North London and Mum at the seaside in Hythe, Kent.

On the other hand, my husband's genealogy is a bit more exotic.  Londoners originally from Suffolk, a set of Jewish fishmongers,  a dash of Irish all on his mother's side and on his father's Welshmen.

When I get fed up looking for my Grays and Williams, I remember that the Jewish side with their Harts and Joels are just as common, not to mention the Welsh lot - more Williams, Evans, Thomases etc!
Chowns in Buckinghamshire
Broad, Eplett & Pope in St Ervan/St Columb Major, Cornwall
Browning & Moore in Cambridge, St Andrew the Less
Emms, Mealing & Purvey in Cotswolds, Gloucestershire
Barnes, Dunt, Gray, Massingham in Norfolk
Higho in London
Matthews & Nash in Whichford, Warwickshire
Smoothy, Willsher in Coggeshall & Chelmsford, Essex

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: Monday 26 July 10 19:43 BST (UK) »
Now moving over to try and find some of OH fathers' family members in Belgium

Have done the English, the Scottish, have not attempted the Irish, don't know where to start, may well have the same problem with the Belgians who knows

marcie
Scotlandorkney flett bell, strickland laird traillcalqahoun.
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet

Offline Pegasuss

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: Tuesday 27 July 10 16:54 BST (UK) »
Now moving over to try and find some of OH fathers' family members in Belgium

marcie

Marcie.

Do a google search for 'Belgium Genealogy' you will be surprised at how many usefull links that come up! ::) ;)
Hertzberger, Highton, Walker, Eaton, Webster, Brown, Wright, Speed, Dodd, Holland, Melling, Murphy, Edwards, Bennett, Collins, Critchley, Duffy, Owens, Morgan & Humphreys

All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: Tuesday 27 July 10 19:45 BST (UK) »
Without doing the Google test I can think of one possible problem with Belgian research, the country was only formed in 1832.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: Wednesday 28 July 10 12:41 BST (UK) »
Without doing the Google test I can think of one possible problem with Belgian research, the country was only formed in 1832.
Hi Roger,
What was it before then, then  Vichy France?

marcie
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: Wednesday 28 July 10 12:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Roger,
What was it before then, then  Vichy France?

marcie

Vichy France is WWII and Redroger is talking about 1832- over 100 years earlier.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vichy_France
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: Wednesday 28 July 10 12:53 BST (UK) »
Sorry,
Historically and over a period of time one things blurrs into another, and we have always had altercations with the French Germans and Spanish.
Recently whilst in Portugal in January I found out that the Italians invaded Spain and stayed for over 200 years, now that was a surprise to me.

marcie
 searl rogers sutherland

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: Wednesday 28 July 10 21:19 BST (UK) »
Might be an idea to look for history of Belgium on the wiki Marcie, there is stacks, but formed out of a buffer state created after Waterloo out of the Ausgtrian Netherlands, and declared independence in the revolution of 1832 which was fostered by catholic priests as a responce to the Dutch protestants.  Our altercations with Europe over the last 800 years plus are a major reason why I believe British membership of the EU can never work, and that we should quit before major lasting damage is done to both the UK and Europe.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Diatomite

• RootsChat Extra
  • "O wad some Pow'r the giftie gie us..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: Sunday 01 August 10 13:16 BST (UK) »
My children's ancestors are from Alexandria (Dunbartonshire), Kisumu, Edinburgh, Glasgow, London, Liverpool, Ayrshire, Stirlingshire, Caithness, Fife, Kircudbrightshire, Dumfriesshire, Sutherland, Western Isles, Dunbartonshire, Argyllshire, Prescot, Perthshire, Northern Ireland, Suffolk, and one g-g-gf was born in the USA.

Diarmid
Gibson - Glasgow, Ayrshire, Liverpool, Fife
Russell - Kent, London, Edinburgh
Watterson - Perthshire, Dunbartonshire
Logan - Edinburgh
Robertson - Stirlingshire, Glasgow, Edinburgh
Campbell - Caithness, Mull, Coll, Dunbartonshire
Imrie - Ayrshire, Dumfrieshire, Kirkcudbrightshire
Ross - Caithness, Edinburgh
Pitbladdo - Fife
Stevenson - Argyll
Brown - Glasgow, Liverpool