Author Topic: Rickmansworth photo  (Read 2705 times)

Offline harrywrag

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Rickmansworth photo
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 05 July 18 00:05 BST (UK) »
hi ive also just remembered this site  www.britainfromabove.org.uk  if you key in Rickmansworth in search box  click search then scroll down to photo ref EAW026497 the town Rickmansworth from north west, the fox and hounds, the western, and franklins, are pin marked on pic you will need to register on the site to be able to zoom in and out you can find row of cottages near franklins pic not the greatest but well worth a look hope this is of help cheers

harrywrag

Offline harrywrag

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 05 July 18 00:25 BST (UK) »
another pic that may help on the britainfromabove is pic no.eaw026495 church street and the town if you look far left side of pic abt three quarters up from botton there is cluster of 4 pin marks if you zoom in you may get what you are looking for cheers

harrywrag

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 05 July 18 07:47 BST (UK) »
Harrywrag
Thanks for reminding about the site.

Without registering, I downloaded a copy of "26497".
No pin marks.
Great pic for a start.

R
"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline cordley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 05 July 18 08:32 BST (UK) »
Fantastic. Will look later today.

Thanks.

Offline cordley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 05 July 18 13:16 BST (UK) »
Have now registered and logged in, and now I see all the Pins, so now to explore...

Offline cordley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 05 July 18 13:32 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much - I have now been able to see the house I used to visit some 60+ years ago.  I have added a Pin for 187/189 High Street - had to Register to do so, but it has made me very happy!

Resolution is not brilliant, but far better than I would have expected from a 1949 arial photo.

Fantastic website - new to me.

Offline harrywrag

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 05 July 18 16:27 BST (UK) »
that's great you found 187/ 189 high street I placed pin on 169a high street last night too, so many happy memories of my visits to Rickmansworth also while I was looking thru some old books my aunt sent me came across photo of 169 high street my grandmother stayed above it  when it was dixies the butcher this photo I came across much older the butchers name was m.shephard (good name for a butcher) it shows the little alleyway you entered to get to 169a the book name was Rickmansworth a glimpse of the past copyright 1977 printed by m&r printing services 115-117 high street Rickmansworth 2nd impression reprint 1983 there is also pic of Wensum cottages at western end high street not sure if perhaps they could be 187/189 has little shop in pic too I think when I was going there this shop near franklin and was a pet shop and greengrocer I can remeber buying a tortoise from a pet shop along by franklands when I stayed in Rickmansworth for short time

Offline cordley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 05 July 18 17:05 BST (UK) »
Just to summarise my findings/understanding :

Looking at a current (Google) map of Rickmansworth, Wensum Way leads off the High Street, west of M&S, which is number 193 - so I guess Wensum Cottages were about 207+.  Wensum Court is now a sheltered housing complex at 221 High Street.  Western Inn, I think is now Druids at No 205.

I first came across 'West End, High Street' for Ricky on a birth certificate for 1917 which I think is before houses were numbered along there. 

I am so grateful for the assistance I have had in locating the house (187) I remember from my childhood.

THANK YOU all.