Author Topic: Looking for family of Raymond Shepherd of the crashed Halifax bomber in Holland.  (Read 3433 times)

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for family of Raymond Shepherd of the crashed Halifax bomber in Holland.
« Reply #9 on: Friday 02 November 18 10:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Annette     

Appears it is from Anc.tree     http://www.rootschat.com/links/01myd/

F= Shepherd     
M= Edith Hannah Corke     
B= 1922     
D= 1/5/1943

Ray

"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline fulliautomatix

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for family of Raymond Shepherd of the crashed Halifax bomber in Holland.
« Reply #10 on: Friday 02 November 18 14:54 GMT (UK) »
Apologies, I should have clarified that CORKE was Ada/Edith's maiden name. There seems to be variations in her name. Sometimes it is Ada Edith, or Ada Hannah, sometimes Edith Ada and now Edith Hannah! I'm pretty sure it's the same person though! On the 1939 register it's written as Ada H Shepherd with a d.o.b of 14-01-1887, although the year is dubious.

I've re-sent messages via Facebook to 3 people who I think are descendants of Ada's brothers, so will let you know if I get any responses.

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 02 November 18 15:01 GMT (UK) »

Where does the proof of the name "Corke" exist?     

R
"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

Offline fulliautomatix

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 02 November 18 15:16 GMT (UK) »

Where does the proof of the name "Corke" exist?     

R

Hard to prove definitively but it comes from a couple of other Corke-related trees on ancestry.  I also contacted someone on there who sent me this exhaustive reply which helps explain...

"Andy,

Ada Hannah Corke's birth was registered in 1st Q 1884 in Yarmouth mothers maiden name was England (Volume 4b Page 26).

She was baptised as Edie Hannah Cork on 7 Feb 1884 with a birth date given as 14 Jan 1884 (Norfolk, England, Bishop and Archdeacon Transcripts of Parish Registers, 1600-1935). Her parents were given as Charles & Eleanor Corke.

She is found with her parents on the 1891, 1901 & 1911 census returns, as Edith A Corke in 1891 and Ada on 1901 & 1911. All three give a birth year of 1884.

All of this information is on my Ancestry tree (with sources) which you have obviously found. The tree also shows the relatives of Ada, descended from her parents. However, it does not give the names and details of living relatives.

Until I received your message I had no information on Ada beyond the 1911 census that I could be sure of. I had not found a marriage that I could reliably attribute to her, I couldn't find her in 1939 as a Corke nor could I find a death as a Corke.

I have found the 1939 Reg. that you have referred to where an Ada H Shepherd (Widow) is living at 28 Belfort Place, Great Yarmouth C.B., Norfolk, England with a closed record (assumed to be a child), however the date of birth is 14 Jan 1887, not 1884. The day and month of birth provide good circumstantial evidence but the year is a problem. It could be Ada Hannah Corke as I have found other 1939 Regs. where the day and month are correct and the year is incorrect. However, I was still not totally convinced.

I have also found the death that you have referred to where the death of an Ada Shepherd was registered in the 1st Q of 1865 in Yarmouth. The age at death was 82. If this was Ada Hannah Corke she would not have turned 82 until January 1966. This does not match but could be within the bounds of error.

I have now found further evidence that appears to confirm a link between Ada Shepherd & Ada Hannah Corke. Ada Hannah Corke had a younger brother named Victor Corke (See 1901 & 1911 census on my tree). His British Army Service record gives his address on enlistment as 28 Belfort Place, St Nicholas Rd Gt Yarmouth (See my tree). This is the same address as Ada Shepherd in 1939. This takes the link beyond coincidence and into the realms of 'on the balance of probability' if not 'beyond reasonable doubt'.

We now have the task of linking the Raymond Shepherd on the CWGC site to the Ada Shepherd nee Corke in 1939. I would normally find his birth registration which would give his mother's maiden name, then use this to find the marriage of his parents at an appropriate time and place.

The CWGC record gives Raymond's age at the time of his death as 21. As he died on the 1st May 1943 he would have been born between the 1st May 1921 and the 30th April 1922 (2nd Q 1921 to 3rd Q 1922 allowing for six weeks to register the birth). Unfortunately there are no obvious candidates with a first name of Raymond.

Raymond   Shepherd   2nd Q   1921   mother's maiden name Swales Middlesbrough   Yorkshire
Raymond L   Shepherd   3rd Q   1921   mother's maiden name Tilley   St. Thomas Devon
Raymond   Shepherd   4th Q   1921   mother's maiden name Gregory   West Bromwich   Staffordshire

Raymond P   Sheppard   2nd Q   1921   mother's maiden name Bishop   Devizes Wiltshire
Raymond   Sheppard   4th Q   1921   mother's maiden name Moran   West Bromwich   Staffordshire
Raymond   Sheppard   3rd Q   1922   mother's maiden name Adlam   Isle of Wight Hampshire

I can't find a record of a marriage of an Ada (Eadie or Edith) Corke to a Shepherd.

The CWGC record give Raymond's mother as Ada Shepherd with no father mentioned. This could imply that there was no father. If we look for births of a Raymond Corke during the same period we get:-

Raymond S   Corke   3   1921   mother's maiden name Corke   Rochford   Essex

This record gives a birth of a Raymond during the right time period with a connection to the Corke name. Could the initial stand for Shepherd? This is of course only a theory but are there any other options? It explains the lack of a appropriate marriage, the lack of a birth record for a Raymond Shepherd and also why his father wasn't mentioned on the CWGC record.

I'm not sure what other records are available that would give any further information.

Get back in touch if you want to discuss this further, or want help tracing living relatives. My tree only has information on relatives with the Corke name. I have not followed maternal lines."

Phew!

I would add that on the 1939 register, the closed entry below Ada does look like it might say 'Shepherd, Raymond' as you can just see the tails of the letters 'p' and 'y' in the right places. It seems likely that he was an only child.

Andy

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 02 November 18 18:19 GMT (UK) »
Select Cemetery records on Ancestry also show the addresses for Charles Corke bur.7/7/1934 and wife Eleanor Corke bur.17/1/1931 (both buried at Gt. Yarmouth) as being 28 Belfort Place.  Since Ada H. Shepherd is living there in 1939 I think it's pretty certain that she was their daughter, birth registered as Ada Hannah, who from baptism cited, was born 14/1/1884 (not 1887 as on 1939 register).    However, women often - deliberately or otherwise - get their birth year wrong, but not their actual birthday.

Since a) it seems pretty evident that Raymond was the Raymond S. (for Shepherd?) Corke, mmn Corke, Sept.1921 Rochford Registration District (no amendment to birth entry and birth certificate no doubt would only have a line through father's details) and b) no marriage to a Mr. Shepherd after Raymonds's birth, it sounds like Ada maybe returned to Yarmouth between 1921 and 1931, perhaps to care for her ailing parents.   I would suggest that 28 Belfort Place was originally the home of Charles and Eleanor and taken over by Ada after their deaths in 1931 and 1934.   I have no doubt that a 'Mr.' Shepherd was Raymonds's father, but if not named on the latters birth certificate (which is extremely likely) and with no subsequent marriage for his parents it seems like Ada (and her young son) returned to Yarmouth where she passed herself of as Ada H. Shepherd, a widow.   I doubt there is any way at all to even establish who 'Mr'. Shepherd was, and whoever he was I doubt he was dead by 1939. 

Therefore, finding any family for poor Raymond Shepherd can only be found on his mothers Corke line.  There were plenty of Shepherd's living/dying in the Rochford Registration District but unless Raymond S Corkes's 1921 birth certificate is ever purchased we don't even know the name of the actual place where he was born, let alone who his father was.

Annette         

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 02 November 18 20:42 GMT (UK) »

Annette's summary, to me, cannot be bettered without documentary proof.

The father's name may actually be the same name as the son.     

RIP Raymond Shepherd.     

Ray

Offline David Van Coolwijk

• RootsChat Extra
  • http://www.halifaxmonumentmuiden.nl/
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 17 January 19 22:56 GMT (UK) »
I have got a lead! A member sent me a private message with some names (Corke) and addresses of living relatives.

I have sent a letter to them, now we wait.......

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 17 January 19 23:19 GMT (UK) »
An interesting development;  thank you for the update.  :)
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline David Van Coolwijk

• RootsChat Extra
  • http://www.halifaxmonumentmuiden.nl/
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 17 January 19 23:22 GMT (UK) »
Hopefully it's a match! In that case I have 7 out of 7 family's!