Author Topic: Ann Cox is there another marriage record apart from the Howell marriage record  (Read 1776 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ann Cox is there another marriage record apart from the Howell marriage record
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 05 July 18 10:33 BST (UK) »
It probably depends on who the informant is . The tree that I found has the death as 1880, Rotherham and bpt 1803, Heckington.  The children's names fit very well into the most popular naming pattern.

I'm not  familiar with that part of Lincolnshire but the map shows that Heckington and Great Hale are fairly close*

Gadget

* 1.1 miles according to google!
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ann Cox is there another marriage record apart from the Howell marriage record
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 05 July 18 10:49 BST (UK) »
In 1871, she is living with son, Benjamin, in Rotherham. I see that she was a few years older than Charles (censuses have him as born 1811), which could also explain her flexible dob.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Nigel Porter

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 06 July 18 13:38 BST (UK) »
Thanks to all who have replied.  I have a different burial date of February 18th 1880 which is from the Whiston parish records and shows her as 75, which is consistent with the 1805 birth on a few censuses.  She lived in Whiston for many years, having moved to Yorkshire by 1861 (not sure why?) and lived with her son Benjamin.  Her daughter Sarah Ann also lived in Whiston so I assume there was work there when times were tough in Heckington.  Her son Benjamin lived until 1938 when he was 94 and I've been in touch with his descendants. 

All the observations made suggest Ann Cox is the daughter of Benjamin and Elisabeth, but I suspect I'll never be able to it.
Porter - Heckington/Boston - Lincs
Asher - Lincs
Otter - Lincs
Wright - Heckington
Giddings - Tydd St Mary
Williams - Merionethshire/Anglesey
Rose - East London
Stevens - East London
Grimwood - East London

Offline Nigel Porter

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 07 July 18 13:38 BST (UK) »
This thread has also made me check that branch again and I've discovered I'd made the cardinal sin of assumption and had the wrong marriage for Benjamin Porter (Ann Cox's son).  That's the good news, the bad news is I can't find his real marriage to Ann (who's surname I don't know)! 
Porter - Heckington/Boston - Lincs
Asher - Lincs
Otter - Lincs
Wright - Heckington
Giddings - Tydd St Mary
Williams - Merionethshire/Anglesey
Rose - East London
Stevens - East London
Grimwood - East London

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 07 July 18 14:49 BST (UK) »
The GRO birth index for son Joseph Charles, Rotherham, 1868 has mother's maiden name as Thackry.

Gadget

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 07 July 18 14:57 BST (UK) »
Very odd as there's a marriage on freebmd that has Benjamin Porter possibly  marrying an Ann Flint, Rotherham 1866. I wonder if she was a widow  :-\

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 07 July 18 14:59 BST (UK) »
Ann Thackry married  a Thomas Flint,  Rotherham March 1861

Gadget

Added - a Thomas Flint died March Q 1863, Rotherham

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 07 July 18 15:07 BST (UK) »
Marriage entry of July 23 1866, Rotherham

Benjamin Porter 24, bach, farmer,living Rotherham. Father Charles Porter, Vet surgeon?
and
Ann Flint, 26, widow, living Rotherham. Father Joseph Thackry, Farmer

Gadget

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 07 July 18 15:18 BST (UK) »
Marriage entry of July 23 1866, Rotherham

Benjamin Porter 24, bach, farmer,living Rotherham. Father Charles Porter, Vet surgeon?
and
Ann Flint, 26, widow, living Rotherham. Father Joseph Thackry, Farmer

Gadget

Given that the first son listed on the census was a Joseph Charles, it seems a likely marriage  :)

Gadget