Author Topic: Marriage 31 July 1837 St John, Newcastle  (Read 452 times)

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Marriage 31 July 1837 St John, Newcastle
« on: Friday 06 July 18 14:11 BST (UK) »
There is a transcript of a marriage between Hannah Ranson and Joseph Smith on 31 July 1837 at St John, Newcastle on findmypast. I really want to see the original. Does anyone know where this may be possible online.

(The marriage is not on freereg, durhamrecordsonline or familysearch. In the case of the latter the browsable pages for 1837 marriages appear to end on 30 June as far as I can ascertain).

Thank you
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage 31 July 1837 St John, Newcastle
« Reply #1 on: Friday 06 July 18 14:17 BST (UK) »
Tyne and Wear archives will have the parish register on microfilm
https://twarchives.org.uk/collection/user-guides-and-information

or you could order the certificate from the GRO (see Free BMD for references)

If you can get to an LDS FHC, they will let you see the image on their pcs (not available online at home unless you are a church member)

https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/1910437?availability=Family%20History%20Library

Boo

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 06 July 18 16:34 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the reply. I did look at the marriage browsable records online at home but as I said they appear to stop in June 1837 so I was hoping the films might be available somewhere else online.

If all else fails I will make a note and check in the future at a center.

(Don't particularly want to order the certificate as these are not my ancestors).
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 06 July 18 16:40 BST (UK) »
The ones that are available to browse at home are the images of the Bishops Transcripts, which as far as I know come from the Palace Green Library and do not have publication restraints on them.

The link I gave is to the films that the LDS hold of the original registers which are in the possession of the archives and they do seem to have publication restrictions (imposed by the archives, not the LDS) i.e. can be viewed at a FHC but not published online.

Boo

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 06 July 18 17:57 BST (UK) »
OK thank you

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 07 July 18 15:48 BST (UK) »
Do you need to see this personally or could someone else do it for you?

The alternative to buying a certificate would be to order a copy from Northumberland archives.  I could check out the microfilm number and the relevant page so there would be no research charges.  Boo knows how to do this  :)

Christine

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 07 July 18 17:01 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your kind offer. I now have this covered so no further action is required.