Author Topic: Thomas Wiilliams and Ann Jones married 1814 Llanfawr Emigrants?... son Benjamin?  (Read 26768 times)

Offline Llanfihangel

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Rootschat and the Library of Wales..... Superb!
    • View Profile
Hi
I have a FindMyPast record of a marriage between Thomas Williams and Ann Jones on 18 October 1814 at Llanfawr Merionethshire. It was witnessed by John Williams and Sarah Jones. The marriage was by license and all the signatures indicate a high level of literacy. The groom's parish is recorded as Spytty and the Bride resided in the parish of Llanfawr.
I can't find any subsequent records of the couple or children, and I would like to know if they emigrated to America. That is because I am trying to trace a Benjamin Williams who was born in Wales from Welsh parents of the same name. Benjamin Williams was born 1818 died 1906 in Columbus Ohio, and his death certificate shows his parents Thomas Williams and Ann Williams were born in Wales.
I would appreciate any further information
Thanks!
Llanfi  :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
Pugh, Powell, Williams, Maddox, Prosser

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Wiilliams and Ann Jones married 1814 Llanfawr Emigrants?... son Benjamin?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 07 July 18 17:47 BST (UK) »

I don't see a bapt for Benjamin at the moment in Merionethshire

A possible for Yspyty

Partly in n Denbighshire and partly in Caenarfonshire.

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/DEN/Ysbytyifan

I have some chapel records and will look them out.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Wiilliams and Ann Jones married 1814 Llanfawr Emigrants?... son Benjamin?
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 07 July 18 18:01 BST (UK) »
A tree has the Benjamin  who died in Ohio as b.1817 Breconshire. Parents recorded as David Williams and Ann Powell. Emigrated 1831,

Did he marry Phoebe Seeley?

Link to Findagrave:

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/73963427/b-will

Added - on the 1850 US census, he has a son named David, aged 10.  Death date from FaG was April 1906.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 07 July 18 18:28 BST (UK) »
Other trees have a variety of parents' names, including unknown, but they are all consistent with a birth date of Nov 1817, Brecon. It could be that they copied one of the trees  :-\

Nothing showing on the non-conformist records so far.

Gadget

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 07 July 18 18:41 BST (UK) »
Green Lawn Cemetery index has his father as Thomas.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 07 July 18 19:41 BST (UK) »

Background info and other thread - to avoid duplication

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=796196.0

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 07 July 18 19:44 BST (UK) »
Thanks,  Sandra.

It seems to match all the bits that I've found but no Thomas and Ann Williams, so far  :-\

Gadget

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 07 July 18 19:54 BST (UK) »
Is Ebenezer unrelated?  Llanfi seems to think he's not part of the family  :-\

The Green lawn record has his father as Thomas.

Gadget

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 07 July 18 20:03 BST (UK) »
Just had a thought about the Llanfawr/Llanfor records.

Some of my ancestors were from that parish and the patronymic form was used on and off into the 19th century, depending on the vicar's whim  ::)

Gadget