Author Topic: Thomas Wiilliams and Ann Jones married 1814 Llanfawr Emigrants?... son Benjamin?  (Read 26778 times)

Offline johnw47

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Forgot to mention that the 1850 and 1870 censuses definitely show Benjamin and his family in Delaware and, I think, Franklin Counties, Ohio.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Welcome John.

What great info.

My 3xgreat grandparents and some of their children were buried in Gyffylliog church yard and I visited the area a few years ago. I think I might have some records tucked away somewhere.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
I've now been through the records of the Gyffylliog/Cyffylliog Cavenistic Methodist Chapel. These were produced, among others, by Clwyd FHS. I've also checked the records of other chapel records in the area.

This is what I have for children baptised at Cyffylliog Calvanistic Methodist Chapel with parents Thomas Williams and Anne (mn Jones):

Elizabeth Williams, born 15th Nov and bpt 11th Dec 1812/of Bont. Daughter of Thomas Williams, lab. and Anne, mn Jones
Mother before marriage - Denbigh, Father before marriage - Llanynys

Thomas Williams, born 16th and bpt 23rd of December 1814/of Bont. Son of Thomas Williams, lab. and Anne, mn Jones

Cathrine Williams, born 20th and bpt 29th March 1818 of Bontuchel. Daughter of Thomas Williams, lab. and Anne, mn Jones

John Williams, born 16th and bpt 27th Nov 1820 of Bron Mary. Son of Thomas Williams, lab. and Anne, mn Jones

Joseph Williams, born 4th and bpt 17th August 1823. Son of Thomas Williams, lab. and Anne, mn Jones

(there was an Ebenezer Williams bpt there but parents were Moses Williams and Anne Lloyd)

Note - no Benjamin and I think parents were married before 1814. Also residence of parents were different than previously stated.

None of the other chapel records that I've looked at have a Benjamin Williams to parents with the names mentioned.

John - could you give me the source of your informtion about the baptism, please.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Hi John,

Welcome to this discussion and Rootschat.

Notice that Benjamin and Phoebe named the first son David L (think the L may be Llewellyan) Williams - usually names followed a naming pattern back then. If Benjamin did immigrate with the Aunt and Uncle he might have named the son after the Uncle. Interesting that Thomas was used on the Greenwood Cemetery Index.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
I would like to know the source of the baptism information ans the records I've looked at are accurate and as complete as are available for the chapel mentioned.

Gadget

added - I noticed the David L on the 1850 (reply #2), Sandra - interesting

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

The Ann and David, parents of Ebenezer bpt Brecon (Calv Meth) in Jan 1811 and b. 20 Dec 1810, were most probably the David William and Anne Powell who married Llywel, Breconshire 24 August 1794.

Gadget

Offline Llanfihangel

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Rootschat and the Library of Wales..... Superb!
    • View Profile
Hi,

Many thanks to all of you for your diligent efforts to trace Benjamin...!

The Ebenezer born in Breconshhire, Llanwrtyd, became a Calvinistic Methodist minister and was in Llanwrtydd according to the 1851 Census.

The record for the Thomas Williams and Ann Jones marriage shows that Thomas resided in the Parish of Spytty, and I don't know where it was.
The marriage took place in Llanfawr, and that is very close to the old boundary of Merionethshire with Denbighshire. Ann Jones could have been born in Denbighshire...

I am attaching a brief account of Ebenezer... Please excuse the typos... Llanwrtyd is an awkward name to enter on my keyboard!

There is a Llanynis just south ot Builth in Breconshire....

There are other records of marriages between Thomas Williams and Anne Jones but they all have her recorded as ANNE and not ANN

Please maintain your cool! It is an interesting search and there is more to come!!!

Thanks!

Llanfi
Pugh, Powell, Williams, Maddox, Prosser

Offline Llanfihangel

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Rootschat and the Library of Wales..... Superb!
    • View Profile
Hi,

I made a mistake in my attachment... It was Ann Jones, not Ann Powell who married David Williams in Llanwrtyd.

Also I found an Ysbytty near Llanfawr .... the Welsh pronunciation might have confused the Vicar at the time!

The rules governing the letter Y are some of the most confusing in Welsh. Normally it's pronounced like the u in cut, but in the last syllable of a word it most commonly represents the sound of the ee in beet.

https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Welsh/Pronunciation

Well, Maybe!

Cheers,

Llanfi
Pugh, Powell, Williams, Maddox, Prosser

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
I gave details of Yspyty in one of my early replies.

I don't see a bapt for Benjamin at the moment in Merionethshire

A possible for Yspyty

Partly in n Denbighshire and partly in Caenarfonshire.

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/DEN/Ysbytyifan

I have some chapel records and will look them out.

Gadget