Author Topic: Sarah Miller/Moller Marriage 1755  (Read 1402 times)

Offline twolf04

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sarah Miller/Moller Marriage 1755
« on: Sunday 08 July 18 01:34 BST (UK) »
I am seeking some information on an ancestor Sarah Miller/Moller who married James Thornton in Lavenham 29 October 1755. I am wondering if the marriage may identify her parents?  There are two possible candidates Sarah Miller baptized July 21 1738 St James Bury St Edmunds to Henry and Mary or Sarah Miller  bap July 25 1734 in Lavenham to Francis and Susan.

It would also be a big help to know her age at the time of Marriage. I am wondering if anyone has seen this record or can go into Bury St Edmunds to look at it?

Offline gobbitt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah Miller/Moller Marriage 1755
« Reply #1 on: Friday 13 July 18 12:27 BST (UK) »
Hello twolf04

The Lavenham marriage register (SRO microfiche 28, page 11, no 22) shows that Sarah Miller and James Thornton, both single and of Lavenham, were married by banns on 20 (not 29) October 1755 in the presence of John Lingwood (a frequent witness) and Susan Thornton (who signed with a mark, as did Sarah and James).

There is no indication that Sarah was under 21 and I see no reason to believe she was baptized as far away as Bury St Edmunds. But if anyone has the opportunity to visit that branch of the SRO or one of the Family History Centers of the LDS Church, perhaps some useful information can be found in the wills of Henry Miller Senior (1762) and Mary Miller (1791), which were proved in the Archdeaconry of Sudbury. I don't know how soon they will become accessible online.

David

Offline twolf04

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah Miller/Moller Marriage 1755
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 14 July 18 01:23 BST (UK) »
Thanks.