Author Topic: China war's 1895  (Read 1168 times)

Offline goggy

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
China war's 1895
« on: Tuesday 09 August 05 04:18 BST (UK) »
Friend's, Roamer's, G'Logist's.
Lend me your skill's,looking for a G'DAD Thomas Binsteed,reputed killed in these time's,ex R.N pensioner,civil authority employee.
I have tried and not received any info from availablesource's,but believe this is due to my computer illiteracy.
ALL help offered gratefully accepted.
                    Goggy.

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: China war's 1895
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 09 August 05 07:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Goggy

Have you tried searching in the GRO overseas death indexes online at http://www.1837online.com in the overseas section? 

Casalguidi
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline manmack

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 10 August 05 04:38 BST (UK) »
goggy,we were not doing any fighting in china in 1895,the chinese and japs were at war with each other,it was in 1895 when they signed the peace treaty,BUT in 1894/95 the plague started in hong kong,many civil servants were given the hong kong plague medal for their services during the epidemic,a lot of these medals went to the shropshire light infantry and the RN,mack
military history,mainly ww1,manchester pals battalions,tyneside irish +tyneside scottish brigades,leeds,liverpool,accrington,birmingham,hull,barnsley,swansea and salford pals.

Offline goggy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 10 August 05 05:05 BST (UK) »
Hi manmack!
Looking for the opium war's,just from memory!!I'll go stand in a corner for that mistake.Peking was later I know.Starting to lose me 'ollie's.Seem's finger's were moving afore brain(?)was engaged!!
              Cheer's, Goggy.

Offline goggy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 10 August 05 05:09 BST (UK) »
Casalguidi,thank's for that,won't get into that site just yet,several point's to check out just now.
            Thank's again,Goggy.

Offline manmack

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 10 August 05 10:11 BST (UK) »
goggy,he was probably killed at canton,the other two battles were military engagements,after hostile acts against european nationals,the navy destroyed the chinese fleet at fatshan creek which opened the way to canton which was captured in june 1858,later on in 1860,it erupted again in peking,your ancestor could have been at peking,but after the earlier troubles i would think all the foreign nationals would have been brought to canton for protection???,mack
military history,mainly ww1,manchester pals battalions,tyneside irish +tyneside scottish brigades,leeds,liverpool,accrington,birmingham,hull,barnsley,swansea and salford pals.

Offline goggy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 11 August 05 03:43 BST (UK) »
MANMACK,CASALGUIDI,my rump need's a good kick!As said earlier ,my info came as a shock in more way's than one,every thing I based my searche's on was turned turtle!!
Nothing else but family tale's,very little factual evidence,what can you expect?
The G'G'G'Dad supposedly de-capitated by a cannon ball in China,seemingly died 1917!!!
Navy pensioner.
Back to square one, in some respect's anyway.
   Thank's again,Goggy. :-[