Author Topic: Thomas Henry Boik  (Read 4188 times)

Offline Kezzza

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Henry Boik
« Reply #45 on: Tuesday 10 July 18 08:18 BST (UK) »
I see M L's death was registered with a further surname -  GUNSTON - and she is mentioned as the wife of Arthur GUNSTON in the death notice.

Death, Victoria, 1944, #7443
Mary Louisa GUNSTON, 86
Death Place:   East Brunswick, Victoria
Father's name:   Geo Betts
Mother's name:   Elizth Stevens

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/205997929

GUNSTON.—On July 28, at her residence, 18 St. Phillip-street, East Brunswick, Mary Louise, wife of Willliam Gunston, and loved mother of Thomas Henry and the late Martha, Maud and James Boik, aged 86 years.
(Buried at Coburg cemetery according to funeral notice on same page)

I see that the children mentioned are noted with surname BOIK; are Martha and Maud her children, registered in UK with surname LUCKING?  There was also an Alfred James LUCKING, registered West Ham, Dec qr 1883, Vol 4a, p134 - is this the James mentioned in the death notice?

Do you have this death certificate?  Could you transcribe it please?

M L is on the electoral roll as Mary Louisa GUNSTON at 205 Albert St west, Brunswick in 1931, 1933

Judith

Hi Judith

This is what it says on the death certificate.

28th July 1944,
18 St Phillip Street, East Brunswick
Mary Louisa Smithwick, known as Many Louisa Gunston
Female 86 years
Father: George Betts
Mother: Elizabeth Betts, formally Stevens

Buried: Coburg Cemetery

Born: London England (unknown how long been in Australia)

First Marriage:
London, England
26 years
Thomas Henry Boik
Issue:
Thomas Henry 58 years
Martha Deceased
Maud Deceased
James Deceased

Second Marriage:
East Melbourne, Victoria
26 years
John Joseph Smithwick
Married
Issue: not any.

Offline Kezzza

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday 10 July 18 08:23 BST (UK) »
Probate application by Thomas Henry BOIK,  for  Mary Louisa SMITHWICK. (ADD of address as per Judith's post  and it is matching Thomas'  :) )

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/205998581  3 August 1944, The Age.

JM

Hey JM

I believe that this is the son not the husband - is that what you were thinking?

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Tuesday 10 July 18 08:36 BST (UK) »
Yes.

Please read the various notices in the newspapers as per Trove.  Please notice that someone/several someones familiar with the family tree has been transcribing the OCR entries and tagging them, some with Thomas Henry Boik, 1887-1950 some with Thomas Henry Boik(Lucking) 1887-1950.

Perhaps you should consider adding some links to other threads for this extended family, to avoid duplications.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Kezzza

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Tuesday 10 July 18 08:49 BST (UK) »
Yes.

Please read the various notices in the newspapers as per Trove.  Please notice that someone/several someones familiar with the family tree has been transcribing the OCR entries and tagging them, some with Thomas Henry Boik, 1887-1950 some with Thomas Henry Boik(Lucking) 1887-1950.

Perhaps you should consider adding some links to other threads for this extended family, to avoid duplications.

JM

Hi
That’s me that’s been tagging them  :)

Offline Kezzza

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Tuesday 10 July 18 08:56 BST (UK) »
I see M L's death was registered with a further surname -  GUNSTON - and she is mentioned as the wife of Arthur GUNSTON in the death notice.

Death, Victoria, 1944, #7443
Mary Louisa GUNSTON, 86
Death Place:   East Brunswick, Victoria
Father's name:   Geo Betts
Mother's name:   Elizth Stevens

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/205997929

GUNSTON.—On July 28, at her residence, 18 St. Phillip-street, East Brunswick, Mary Louise, wife of Willliam Gunston, and loved mother of Thomas Henry and the late Martha, Maud and James Boik, aged 86 years.
(Buried at Coburg cemetery according to funeral notice on same page)

I see that the children mentioned are noted with surname BOIK; are Martha and Maud her children, registered in UK with surname LUCKING?  There was also an Alfred James LUCKING, registered West Ham, Dec qr 1883, Vol 4a, p134 - is this the James mentioned in the death notice?

Do you have this death certificate?  Could you transcribe it please?

M L is on the electoral roll as Mary Louisa GUNSTON at 205 Albert St west, Brunswick in 1931, 1933

Judith

Hi Judith

This is what it says on the death certificate.

28th July 1944,
18 St Phillip Street, East Brunswick
Mary Louisa Smithwick, known as Many Louisa Gunston
Female 86 years
Father: George Betts
Mother: Elizabeth Betts, formally Stevens

Buried: Coburg Cemetery

Born: London England (unknown how long been in Australia)

First Marriage:
London, England
26 years
Thomas Henry Boik
Issue:
Thomas Henry 58 years
Martha Deceased
Maud Deceased
James Deceased

Second Marriage:
East Melbourne, Victoria
26 years
John Joseph Smithwick
Married
Issue: not any.

I originally thought that Alfred James Lucking was related but the mother’s name is Pumfrett. The James is actually a Williamson not a Lucking (even thought from most records his last name was Lucking for the last few years he changed it to Williamson)

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Wednesday 11 July 18 09:03 BST (UK) »
We seem to have exhausted most avenues here.  I assume the son was the informant Mary Louisa's death registration.  He had very good knowledge of his mother's life, especially as she had a number of partners and children who obviously kept in contact.  I wonder if he knew the origins of his father - whether BOIK and LUCKING were actually the same person.  I think he was only about 11 when his father died (assuming it's the chap who died 1899, which seems very likely)

Do you have any of the death/marriage certificates for any of her children - wondering how their father was listed on those certificates. 

The only other thing I could suggest which might help is if you can get a copy of documents with signatures of both men and compare the handwriting.  This will be difficult, if not impossible, as I don't think there is any way of seeing the actual register entries (UK) with original signatures.  (My own marriage certificate, given to me on the day is only a transcription of the actual register entry)

Judith

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Wednesday 11 July 18 09:49 BST (UK) »
You have this certificate -

BDM NSW birth
9197 / 1887 BOIK  Thomas H  parents Thomas H / Mary L  @  Newtown

It would ask for previous issue, meaning children born to this couple.

Can you please list all the information on this certificate, including name of informant, and place of birth for baby.

Offline Kezzza

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Wednesday 11 July 18 09:58 BST (UK) »
We seem to have exhausted most avenues here.  I assume the son was the informant Mary Louisa's death registration.  He had very good knowledge of his mother's life, especially as she had a number of partners and children who obviously kept in contact.  I wonder if he knew the origins of his father - whether BOIK and LUCKING were actually the same person.  I think he was only about 11 when his father died (assuming it's the chap who died 1899, which seems very likely)

Do you have any of the death/marriage certificates for any of her children - wondering how their father was listed on those certificates. 

The only other thing I could suggest which might help is if you can get a copy of documents with signatures of both men and compare the handwriting.  This will be difficult, if not impossible, as I don't think there is any way of seeing the actual register entries (UK) with original signatures.  (My own marriage certificate, given to me on the day is only a transcription of the actual register entry)

Judith

Hi Judith,

Its funny you should mention the informant on Mary's death certificate. It looks like a H. Bussell, Authorised Agent, Brunswick Street, North Fitzroy. I would of assumed it would have been a relative but for some reason it is not.

I don't have any certificates for the other children other than Thomas Henry Boik marriage cert in 1909.
It states his name is Thomas Henry Boik Lucking and his parents are Fredrick John Lucking and Mary Louisa Betts. It also states that his father is a Iron Moulder which you would assume that he was still living at this time.

So his birth record states that the father is Thomas Henry Boik but the marriage says Fredrick John Lucking. Which makes me feel that they are possibly the same person.

On Ancestry, Martha Hannah's death record states the the father is Frederick John Lucking, whereas on Maude Frederica it states that it is Thomas Lucking.

Offline Kezzza

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Wednesday 11 July 18 10:07 BST (UK) »
You have this certificate -

BDM NSW birth
9197 / 1887 BOIK  Thomas H  parents Thomas H / Mary L  @  Newtown

It would ask for previous issue, meaning children born to this couple.

Can you please list all the information on this certificate, including name of informant, and place of birth for baby.

Date and place of birth: 17th July 1887 Camden Street, Newtown
Name: Thomas Henry
Father's name, occupation, age and birthplace: Thomas Henry Boik, Labourer, 33, London England.
Date and Place of Marriage - previous issue: 16th May 1875, London England, Non living 2 males 3 females decreased
Mother's name and maiden surname, age, birthplace: Mary Louisa Betts, 29, Woolwich England

Informant: Mary Louisa Boik Mother