Author Topic: whereabouts of Lucy Barratt and Arthur Thorpe, married 1908 near Clowne Derbys  (Read 1026 times)

Offline Libralady

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
My grandmother was Lucy Barratt, born April 14th 1888, bought up in Pinxton, sent into service in South Normanton....My grandfather was Arthur Thorpe born 18th December 1886/7 bought up in Hucknall....they married June 1908 at or Clowne or thereabouts, they were both in Service....1st child Dorcas was born May 23rd 1909......In 1920 they were living in Hucknall Notts, granddad owned a Bicycle shop - had 6 children in total, born between 1909 and 1930 - Dorcas, Jack, Joe Beatrice, Alan and Grace, last 3 were born in Hucknall........Information needed on their wherebouts (where did they live) between 1908 and 1920....granddad Arthur served in the First World War....

Offline Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
The 1911 census will tell you where they were living in that year.  For the later years you could either get birth certificates for the children born after 1911 or check the electoral rolls.

Ashford: Somerset, London
England: Devon, London, New Zealand
Holdway: Wiltshire
Hooper: Bristol, Somerset
Knowling: Devon, London
Southcott: Devon, China
Strong: Wiltshire
Watson: Cambridgeshire
White: Bristol
Windo - Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
The births of
Dorcas Annie Gertrude Thorpe(mmn Barratt) was registered in Worksop district 1909
John Frederick Thorpe (mmn Barratt) was registered in Worksop district 1911

They can be found in the 1911 census.

Regards
Roger

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Joseph Garham(?) Thorpe (mmn Barratt) was registered in Mansfield district 1914.

Regards
Roger

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
You are fortunate that his service records were in the less than 40% of records that survved the bombing/fire/water damage in WW11.
He was married in the Clowne parish church. His address at time of attestation I can't decipher!! 70 ??? Lane.
He was discharged in Dec 1915 as not fit for further service.
In 1939 he was working underground in a colliery.
ancestry has free access at the moment but today is the last day you can access the full records.
In 1918 he was at 6 Annesley Road Hucknall

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
their marriage from image
Clowne Parish Church entry no 217
8 Mar 1908
Arthur Thorpe 21 Bachelor occ Miner address Cresswell father Joseph Thorpe occ labourer
Lucy Barratt 21 spinster Church St Clowne father Herbert Barratt occ Miner
witnesses Gersham Thorpe & Ruth Eliza Fitch

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
23 Feb 1911 they were living at 8 John St Cresswell Derbyshire (according to baptisms)
Dorcas Annie gertrude Thorpe born 23 May 1909
and
John Frederick Thorpe born 29 Jan 1911
were both baptised on 23 Feb 1911 at Elmton With Cresswell Derbyshire
record shows parents Athur & Lucy Thorpe
address 8 John St Cresswell
father's occupation Miner

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
I think the address in the military record may be 70 Westfield Lane.Certainly the ending "...field" looks to be the same as in Mansfield,and I can find examples of Westfield or West Field Lane in the census.

Regards
Roger

Offline Libralady

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Thank you all for your help - You have answered my question, the whereabouts between them getting married in 1908 and up to 1920 were confusing.......My mother Beatrice was their 4th child born February 18th 1920, I know of the family whereabouts after that date....Many thanks to you all....