Author Topic: Which Regiment and where?  (Read 819 times)

Offline julianb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Portrait of the genealogist as a young man
    • View Profile
Which Regiment and where?
« on: Tuesday 09 August 05 06:33 BST (UK) »
I'd be grateful for any help in identifying which regiment and where this picture was taken.

It looks like it is somewhere warm, because they are in khaki, but otherwise I don't have any further clues.

JULIAN
ESSEX  Carter, Enever, Jeffrey, Mason, Middleditch, Pond, Poole, Rose, Sorrell, Staines, Stephens, Surry, Theobald HUNTS  Danns KENT  Luetchford, Wood NOTTINGHAMSHIRE  Baker, Dunks, Kemp, Price, Priestley, Swain, Woodward SUFFOLK  Rose SURREY  Bedel, Bransden, Bysh, Coleman, Gibbs, Quinton SUSSEX Gibbs, Langridge, Pilbeam, Spencer WILTSHIRE  Brice, Rumble

Offline manmack

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Which Regiment and where?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 09 August 05 10:47 BST (UK) »
julian,sorry but without any badges i cant ID the regt/unit,all i can say is that,some of the NCOs have dark borders around their stripes,the only regts that have light coloured stripes with a dark border,are these.
1st batt royal warwickshire regt
queens own royal west kents
cheshire regt
kings shropshire light infantry
duke wellington west riding regt
durham light infantry
the duke of cornwalls light infantry also have a dark border,but only from lance sgt upwards
mack
military history,mainly ww1,manchester pals battalions,tyneside irish +tyneside scottish brigades,leeds,liverpool,accrington,birmingham,hull,barnsley,swansea and salford pals.

Offline manmack

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 09 August 05 10:55 BST (UK) »
julian,dont concentrate to much on the photo being in the tropics,they may still be in england but are kitted out ready for the tropics,if it was the tropics,the building at the back would be painted white to reflect the sun,mack
military history,mainly ww1,manchester pals battalions,tyneside irish +tyneside scottish brigades,leeds,liverpool,accrington,birmingham,hull,barnsley,swansea and salford pals.

Offline julianb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Portrait of the genealogist as a young man
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 09 August 05 17:16 BST (UK) »
Mack

Thanks for access to your expertise!  Geographically, the most likely would be the West Kent - my family is primarily from Croydon.

Any ideas about what year this might have been taken?

JULIAN
ESSEX  Carter, Enever, Jeffrey, Mason, Middleditch, Pond, Poole, Rose, Sorrell, Staines, Stephens, Surry, Theobald HUNTS  Danns KENT  Luetchford, Wood NOTTINGHAMSHIRE  Baker, Dunks, Kemp, Price, Priestley, Swain, Woodward SUFFOLK  Rose SURREY  Bedel, Bransden, Bysh, Coleman, Gibbs, Quinton SUSSEX Gibbs, Langridge, Pilbeam, Spencer WILTSHIRE  Brice, Rumble

Offline manmack

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 10 August 05 03:50 BST (UK) »
julian,no need to thank me mate,you are the one whos probably found his regt not me,i didnt want to refer to the west kent regt in case i was wrong,the west kents have a very dark blue border round their stripes,the others are on the lighter side,i dont have a clue to what year it is,theres nothing in the photo that will help,the topees look pre ww1,but the army were still using old equipment long after the war,its a great picture though,try the gang on the great war forum,theres a couple of lads on there who are west kent experts,mack