Author Topic: Funeral - No mourning or flowers.  (Read 5276 times)

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Funeral - No mourning or flowers.
« on: Monday 09 July 18 13:43 BST (UK) »
The Newcastle Journal - Thursday 09 October 1941, page 2, reports a death, and the date of the associated funeral, but specifies "No mourning or (sic) flowers."  I can understand the flowers bit, but not the bit about no mourning.  Could someone please explain exactly what the, er, mourners, were being asked not to do? 

Martin

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Funeral - No mourning or flowers.
« Reply #1 on: Monday 09 July 18 13:45 BST (UK) »
Was it a phrase used to indicate no dark "mourning" clothes?  1941 was a bit late for no "weeping and wailing" which used to happen in the 18th century
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline medpat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 09 July 18 13:58 BST (UK) »
Clothes rationing had started so perhaps they were making sure people didn't use their precious clothes coupons up for the funeral.
GEDmatch M157477

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 09 July 18 14:00 BST (UK) »
Carole, I had wondered about the clothing, but I'd never heard about funerals and bright clothes until the 1990s. Did it happen in the 1930s? I really don't know. Like most people here, I've probably read a lot of death notices but I've never seen that expression before. The nearest I've ever seen was for my great grandfather, which specified Gentlemen Only.

What do you call people at a funeral who aren't morning? It almost inferred that people would have been glad to see the person go?

The concept of no weeping and wailing does create a wonderful image of people trying to fight back tears, and then becoming overwrought in the emotion of holding them back and then crying over their guilt at weeping and wailing.

Martin

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 09 July 18 14:02 BST (UK) »
Med Pat, frequently throughout my childhood my mother used to proudly tell me that she made herself a dress out of blackout material. I sometimes wonder how we won the war because  of her profligacy.  Your suggestion is interesting but I would need to see many more such requests during and restricted two war years to fully accept it.

Martin

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 09 July 18 14:08 BST (UK) »
1941, so wartime,  so perhaps concern for those with meagre means while bread-winner serving,  so 'no mourning' and 'no flowers' effectively saying
.. "please dont dye your best outfit to black to wear to this funeral, please dont go without or stay away from funeral service and please dont embarass us by wearing mourning outfits or spending money on flowers...."
OR
deceased may have expressed a serious wish for no mourning and no flowers and the notice reflects that express wish. 

My  grandfather died 1940 and no flowers by request was in the notice.  Oral history from my Gran and my parent, aunties, uncles ...  no time to dye good outfits only had one set of Sunday best each.....

Grandfather ...he died Friday and buried Monday...

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 09 July 18 14:26 BST (UK) »
Searching the Newcastle Evening Chronicle 1940-45 there are a number of notices saying "No mourning no flowers"

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 09 July 18 14:40 BST (UK) »
I am beginning to think that what Carol and Pat suggested initially might be right, if this request is limited to the war and just after.

Martin

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 09 July 18 14:51 BST (UK) »
I have specified that I ma just to be disposed of (legally of course) so no mourning effectively. Could it be something like that?
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others