Author Topic: Ridgard Family from Derby  (Read 3509 times)

Offline Bella1900

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ridgard Family from Derby
« on: Monday 09 July 18 19:08 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I am looking for information about John (Jack) Neville Ridgard born 1900 in Derby.

He married Dorothea Williams in 1926 in Derby (St Anne's Church) and they had 5 boys:

Robert born 1926 (died 1926).

Frederick

George

Albert

Derek

After 1936 he and his family seemed to have disappeared from official records.

I would love to know what happened to them all.

TIA,

Isabella.

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ridgard Family from Derby
« Reply #1 on: Monday 09 July 18 19:55 BST (UK) »
do you know the middle names of the children ? and Dorothea's d.o.b.

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 09 July 18 19:58 BST (UK) »
We need to be a bit careful here as some of the children could still be alive.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 10 July 18 12:43 BST (UK) »
I can'teven find the parents ??
Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 10 July 18 13:33 BST (UK) »
At least some of the children had middle initials on their birth registration. I wonder if they emigrated as I can't find any sign of them either.

Offline Bella1900

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 10 July 18 17:51 BST (UK) »
Hi, I'm afraid I don't know the children's middle names and I couldn't find Dorothea's d.o.b. either :-(  Jack's birthday was 5th February 1900 and he was a twin.  I know a lot about his parents and siblings but have no clue as to what happened to him.  The family thought he had left Dorothea and emigrated to Canada in the 1920s - but it was later found out that he hadn't done either of those things.  My Mother searched for him via the Red Cross in the 1960s but they couldn't find him either.

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 11 July 18 11:45 BST (UK) »
If he left Dorothea in the 1920's how come children were born in 1930's??

What ages are given on the marriage cert and what was Dorothea's father's name??

Suz

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 11 July 18 11:49 BST (UK) »
Hi, I'm afraid I don't know the children's middle names and I couldn't find Dorothea's d.o.b. either :-(  Jack's birthday was 5th February 1900 and he was a twin.  I know a lot about his parents and siblings but have no clue as to what happened to him.  The family thought he had left Dorothea and emigrated to Canada in the 1920s - but it was later found out that he hadn't done either of those things.  My Mother searched for him via the Red Cross in the 1960s but they couldn't find him either.

He can’t have left in the 1920s as they didn’t marry until 1926 and all the children were born after that!

Maybe they changed their name, not unheard of.

Offline Bella1900

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 11 July 18 14:30 BST (UK) »
Sorry - its a very long story and I was trying to shorten it (especially as some of the people involved may still be alive).  But, (briefly) Jack had a row with his Mother and Father (Harriet and Fred) and told them he was leaving Dorothea (but this was before any children were born).  He told his Mother he was emigrating to Canada and leaving everything behind.  He left their house that night and was never heard of again apart from sending them a photograph of himself supposedly on a ship bound for Canada.  In the 1960s my Mother got in touch with The Red Cross and they searched for him in Canada but they couldn't find him.  That is where the story ended until I started to research my family tree a few years ago.  I discovered that Jack hadn't left England at all and that he had stayed with Dorothea and they had had five boys.  When I told the older members of the family about this situation they were completely astounded.  None of them knew anything about it and they felt deeply sad that they had never known the boys.  I can't find out anything about what happened to any of them (or their offspring) but I would love to find them all.  They are a missing part of my family.  :(