Author Topic: Brecon Court Records 1870  (Read 2332 times)

Offline Newwriter

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Brecon Court Records 1870
« on: Tuesday 10 July 18 13:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Folks,

I have found a rogue in the family who appears to have got a sentence of 7 years at the Brecon Spring Assizes 1870 for burglary. Could anyone help with information about any online records or how I might find archive records relating to the trial please.

It would be good also to know of any newspaper archives which might have covered the trial.

I don't know where he was sent to prison. I have searched the 1871 census without success.

Thanks

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Brecon Court Records 1870
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 10 July 18 14:00 BST (UK) »
As replied to your Cardiff post - try Welsh Newspapers Online http://newspapers.library.wales/
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Newwriter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 10 July 18 17:03 BST (UK) »
Thanks Shaun, I did find a short article in the Western Mail regarding the case. I will look for articles in other newspapers and for the Cardiff case. Thank you

If anyone can help with the court archives I would still be grateful. 

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 10 July 18 17:09 BST (UK) »
I don't know where he was sent to prison. I have searched the 1871 census without success.

We can take a look for you. Can you give his name, age, place of birth?
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 10 July 18 17:22 BST (UK) »
Newwriter -- were you unable to trace these court records on the England and Wales crime records on Find My Past -- as you did with the Wolverhampton case?

These records cover Wales as well - also did you turn the pages of the records on that site? If there is a right hand arrow head on a page - click it and another page for the same person will appear.
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 10 July 18 20:54 BST (UK) »
It has also occurred to me that on your Wolverhampton Court query you mentioned that you were in the middle of a trial with Find My Past -- that site has old newspapers which are searchable.

Simply click on 'Search' in the menu running along the top of the home page - and select Newspapers and Periodicals from the drop down menu which appears.

I suggest you input your filters first -- ie your date range and location BEFORE inputting the name you are searching for.

These newspapers cover England, Wales and Scotland (there are separate ones for Ireland also). You may as well take advantage of this resource whilst you are having your trial with the site.
Places of interest;

Offline Newwriter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 11 July 18 11:36 BST (UK) »
Thanks all. I did manage to find him in prison in Medway in 1871. He was under one of his alias's. His real name is Thomas Jarman (born in Rhayader) but he also went by the name Thomas Morgan and Gorman. Morgan was the name he was tried under in Brecon and the name I found him with in Medway Prison.

And, as mentioned, I did find an article on the Brecon trial in the Western Mail. I also found some court records for Brecon and Cardiff so I have some fairly detailed accounts of his misdemeanours. As well as a couple he got off with in Llanidloes.

Although I managed to find him in 1871 and I have him and his family in Rhayader in 1851 I can find no sign of him, his father John, his mother Sarah or his four siblings in the 1861 census. Unless it's just me?

Pennines. I will have to go back and try your various suggestions re trying to turn the page and to search newspapers in FindMyPast.

Thanks again everyone. RootsChat is always so reliable for nudging aside a block in my research.

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 11 July 18 13:38 BST (UK) »
I think the depleted family are in Merthyr in 1861. Shown with a surname of Jerman.

John (the father) a Widower aged 52 - born Montgomeryshire.

The children still with him, including Thomas are all shown as born Merthyr!
William aged 23 (his wife also present)
'Charlote' aged 14
Thomas aged 12, a Collier.

So not only is their surname mis-spelt, but Charlotte and Thomas's birthplace is also incorrect.
RG9/4053

Or search for Thomas Jerman b 1849 - Merthyr with a father John.

Another child named Ann has been born since 1851 - she is aged 9 in 1861.
Places of interest;

Offline Newwriter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 12 July 18 15:20 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much Pennines. I have just realised that FindMyPast defaults variances to the forename but not to the Surname. Thanks for solving my dilemma.