Author Topic: Catherine Gemmell's parents  (Read 1588 times)

Offline craigbarwick01

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Catherine Gemmell's parents
« on: Tuesday 10 July 18 15:13 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone, hoping for some details for parents of Catherine Gemmell,, born somewhere around 1805 to 1811, nut sure of exact date, but she is listed as aged 30 in an 1841 census. She married Alexander Marshall in Dunse , January 1832. Alexander is the son of Daniel Marshall and Margaret Leslie from a previous search. Catherine and Alexander had 5 children that I can find, born in Dunse or Edinburgh. My GGGrandmother, Helen Marshall may hold a clue, she identified as Helen Mckenze Marshall and married in Tasmania, I am thinking their is a family link to the McKenzie family, Helen had a daughter, Ellen Mckenzie Marshall. I found a marriage between Robert Gemmell and Margaret McKenzie in 1786 in Glasgow but not sure if it could be them because of the distance.
Anyone with ideas that could help piece my puzzle together
Cheers
Craig

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Catherine Gemmell's parents
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 10 July 18 16:01 BST (UK) »
Where was Catherine born?

Did Catherine die in Scotland?  If so and death was anytime from 1855 onwards her death cert will show her parents names and mothers maiden name

www.scotlandspeople.org.uk
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline craigbarwick01

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Catherine Gemmell's parents
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 10 July 18 21:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Carole, thanks for your reply. As far as I know Catherine died in Dunse , 1849, in the 1851 census , husband Alexander is recorded as widowed. I haven't been able to find a birth for her nor the death record. It seems after Catherine's death the children were living among the relatives, Alexander's mother and his sister in Dunse..
Craig