Author Topic: source options  (Read 1263 times)

Offline Jojosam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
source options
« on: Tuesday 09 August 05 08:28 BST (UK) »
Hello all

This is related to a post I have on the lookup board for these ancestors (George Coles, his father Thomas Coles and his mother Elizabeth Barron) but the questions are general, as it's not the first time I've wondered about these things.

1. If a Wellingborough native was born before September 1837 and they seem not to appear on the LDS IGI database, what other options are there for finding a record of their birth?

2. I have three references for a death for Elizabeth Coles (Barron) from FreeBMD. Is there any way I can check which, if any, is the one I want without buying all three certificates? (I suppose the same goes even for a single reference if it's not clear you have the right person).

Thank you in advance for any enlightenment.

Interested in: Willcock, Tennant, Streeton, Snowden, Simpson, Prestidge,  Quigley, Nixon, Millburne, Mellish, Lawson, Kirkham, Kempster, Katagiri, Janvin/Janvill/Ganvin, Hirano, Hedges, Hart, Eardley, Deverell, Currell, Coles, Cleaver, Brown, Brogden, Bonham, Barron, Bailey, Badcock, Arnold

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: source options
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 09 August 05 12:08 BST (UK) »
Northamptonshire has very poor coverage on the IGI
Check the Northamptonshire Family History Society for what they offer
http://www.fugazi.demon.co.uk/index.htm

FreeBMD is not a complete index. You should check their home page/statistic/deaths - for the period you are interested in to see how good the coverage actually is because there may be more deaths in the district than is showing on FreeBMD.

Again contact Northants FHS for your death query (or even join the society) - joining a society is cheap and informative. You get a quarterly journal which is very helpful for ideas about further research possibilities and you get contacts with other local researchers who can help you. You can only go so far with Internet sources. Northants FHS is indexing burials in Northants, some after 1837 in Wellingborough.

Regards
Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jojosam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 17 August 05 04:10 BST (UK) »
Thank you Valda. 

I'll investigate long distance membership with the FHS.
Interested in: Willcock, Tennant, Streeton, Snowden, Simpson, Prestidge,  Quigley, Nixon, Millburne, Mellish, Lawson, Kirkham, Kempster, Katagiri, Janvin/Janvill/Ganvin, Hirano, Hedges, Hart, Eardley, Deverell, Currell, Coles, Cleaver, Brown, Brogden, Bonham, Barron, Bailey, Badcock, Arnold

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 17 August 05 08:44 BST (UK) »
HI there Jojosam

There is also the Northamptonshire look up exchange,where volunteers will do look ups for you.

See this website for what they cover...
http://dspace.dial.pipex.com/anna.smart/nth.htm

Regards

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline seahall

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://5bravemen.weebly.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 18 August 05 21:54 BST (UK) »
Hi All

Also there is Genuki for Northamptonshire, Alan's Clarke's detailed web site for Northamptonshire folk , Steve Garton's web site which also has a Northamptonshire Parish Look up page. Iif you type into Google most villages in the county you will find numerous other people with transcripts or look up help to assist you. UKBMD is a free search web site. Lastly 1837 online which is a paying service although you can browse some records frrely.

Cheers Sandy

Census Crown Copyright