Author Topic: Black sea interpreters 1914-1920  (Read 357 times)

Offline Chasing-fireflies

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Genealogy is like Chasing fireflies....
    • View Profile
Black sea interpreters 1914-1920
« on: Wednesday 11 July 18 07:43 BST (UK) »
I was wondering if anyone knew anything about this regiment? It appears on a medal card for a possible relative I am researching but I can't seem to find anything about them doing Google searches. If someone could point me in the right direction I would most grateful. TIA.
Previously - Badgirl
Thomas-Llangynwyd
Morgan-Garw / Sirhowy
Richards - Bettws
Philips - Rhondda
Pinn - London

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Black sea interpreters 1914-1920
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 11 July 18 10:01 BST (UK) »
Would you give his details so we may look at the card?  There was no "regiment" with that name although there was a Black Sea Army consisting of a large number of units and there were local interpreters employed (and perhaps men from UK with the language skills).

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 12 July 18 21:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Max, yes of course. His name was Christakis George Papadopoulas born 1893. He spoke 4 languages according to his 1926 passenger list going to New york. He spoke Greek, German, French and English. He was born in Pano Lefkara in Cyprus so not a million miles away from the black sea.
Previously - Badgirl
Thomas-Llangynwyd
Morgan-Garw / Sirhowy
Richards - Bettws
Philips - Rhondda
Pinn - London

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 13 July 18 09:37 BST (UK) »
Clear now.
The medal roll for the British War and Victory medals on which he appears is one that has a number of sections under the overall heading of "Miscellaneous"  including the interpreters with the Black Sea Army, the Slavo-British Legion in Russia, the Cape Coloured Labour Corps, the Zion Mule Corps and other outfits, dare I say it, that not many folk have heard of!
In your case, Ancestry has put "Interpreters" against Regiment or Corps as if it were a formed regiment, to make it worse, they then give the roll the title of the Slavo British Legion which is simply the first of the sections in the document!

All were essentially civilians who assisted the allies in one theatre of war or another and whose service earned them the two medals.  Your man served from 25 May 1916 until 12 November 1919, the dates suggesting he started with the army in Salonika.

Whether any histories are about that tell the interpreters story I doubt but you might like to see what you can find on the Salonika campaign and the subsequent Black Sea endeavour which involved the 27th Division starting at the end of 1918.

MaxD

MaxD

I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 13 July 18 22:16 BST (UK) »
Many thanks, that makes more sense to me now. I appreciate the help and explanation of it all.
Previously - Badgirl
Thomas-Llangynwyd
Morgan-Garw / Sirhowy
Richards - Bettws
Philips - Rhondda
Pinn - London