Author Topic: St Paul's Road, Salisbury  (Read 8283 times)

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: St Paul's Road, Salisbury
« Reply #36 on: Sunday 15 July 18 11:18 BST (UK) »
Can't (or shouldn't) be a second marriage as husband was still alive. 

There is a London school admissions register 1878 - and several private trees - with her date of birth 29 May 1871 although the school record has Suttons. 

Under is a Sarah Hannah Suttons age 4 so we could cross check there to see if that was her sister *

* yes that seems to be right.  1881 Clarissa E is 9 and Sarah H is 7.
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline brionne

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Sunday 15 July 18 12:55 BST (UK) »
Thanks Millipede,Did just wonder if the poster had obtained her Birth Certificate.

Large parcels of Salisbury land and properties were either owned by the Diocese,local landed estates,ie Earls of Radnor,and Pembroke.or the War Department.Inevitable that Lewis Court Fisherton Street is a house of ill repute,or hostelry,but perhaps someone can prove me wrong.
There are at least 5 trees on the usual large paid for site,which have entered a second marriage in Sussex for Clarissa Elizabeth,surnames Sutton and Chilvers,wonder just how many children she had at age over 40 years,need accurate date of birth. [Do not pay so unable to look at the exact detail in these trees.]
Dyer,Wilts,Weare Somerset Dorset Wilts.
Weare/Robinson Ottawa Canada.Petty Wilts.
Simper Wilts.West Wilts.West Vermont.Kelsey Surrey.Chappell
Chapel Essex.McPherson,M Pherson MacPherson
Perthshire Scotland,Cork,Dublin,Drogheda Ireland.
Census information Crown Copy right from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sunday 15 July 18 13:10 BST (UK) »
I checked Wiltshire Archives online catalogue for "Lewis Court". 1 hit - 3 bundles of papers covering New Park Street and Lewis Court.

Offline ktk8

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Sunday 15 July 18 13:10 BST (UK) »
She can be found on the 1911 census as Clara Tompsett, who supposedly has four children with her "husband", although the children are nowhere to be seen on the census (quite probably deliberately).

Goodness  :o  I can find 3 and there is a possible 4th with the surname spelt slightly differently (Tomsett) but it's a different district and same quarter as one of the other births.

However if we bear in mind the previous baptisms anything is possible!  Mothers name is the same as the others but could of course be a different couple. 

Indeed, anything is possible!

As far as I am aware, Clarissa and Mr Tompsett had three children in Hastings. I presume the fourth child referred to on the 1911 census was her child from her previous relationship, my ancestor, who I know lived in Hastings with them.

Offline ktk8

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Sunday 15 July 18 13:19 BST (UK) »
Can't (or shouldn't) be a second marriage as husband was still alive. 

Is there an accurate date of birth for Clarissa Elizabeth Sutton please.
3rd Qtr 1871 Mile End Old Town 1c page 505.
Is that correct.
There appears to be a second marriage in Sussex on several online trees.
What about her date of death,promise will not reveal any names for any info I may unearth.

Ok, so as far as we are aware, Clarissa and Mr Tompsett never officially married. Her husband and his wife were still alive at the time. The children's births were all registered with Tompsett as the father, presumably to protect them.

Clarissa later kicked Tompsett out, probably somewhere around 1912. His wife died in 1913, and he married another woman in 1914!

Clarissa continued to use the surnames Tompsett and Chilvers throughout her life. She moved the family back to London after Tompsett left, and died there in 1935, registered and buried under the name Tompsett.

Offline ktk8

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Sunday 15 July 18 13:20 BST (UK) »
Clarissa's date of birth: 29 May 1871

Offline ktk8

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Sunday 15 July 18 13:28 BST (UK) »
As regards Salisbury Lewis House, Fisherton Street,was probably one of the very many pubs or brothels in the city.Numbers given 118/122 are more or less under the railway bridge,left hand side coming from station,and long gone by 1939.There was a serious railway accident early 1900s when the London train came off the rails and engine hung over into the street at that very spot.

Large parcels of Salisbury land and properties were either owned by the Diocese,local landed estates,ie Earls of Radnor,and Pembroke.or the War Department.Inevitable that Lewis Court Fisherton Street is a house of ill repute,or hostelry,but perhaps someone can prove me wrong.

I checked Wiltshire Archives online catalogue for "Lewis Court". 1 hit - 3 bundles of papers covering New Park Street and Lewis Court.

Thank you all for your kind investigations :)

I do hope we are not into the realm of brothels!!

I had a bit of a dig into Mr Edward Lovibond last night, it seems that the Lovibond family were brewers in Wiltshire and Greenwich. Indeed, Lovibonds brewery still exists today. I am guessing that Lewis Court might have been a hostelry.

Offline LMFAO

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Sunday 15 July 18 16:01 BST (UK) »
Going back to your original question- my mum is 95 born and bred in Salisbury. She remembers a Prospect Terrace in St Pauls Road . Had a look on FindMyPast and it is there in 1901 just wondering if it should be Prospect rather than Pleasant. I don't have a subscription but perhaps someone could look it up just to see who was living there - just a long shot.

Offline brionne

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Sunday 15 July 18 17:30 BST (UK) »
LMFAO,Thanks for that. Unable to find it 1901 or 1911,but someone else might.

The address 1939,turns out to be off Devizes Rd approx half way up on left hand side.
Quite a way up from St Pauls Road

One married lady born 1899 living alone with an unknown child.
Unable to post details ,its against RootsChat policy.
Dyer,Wilts,Weare Somerset Dorset Wilts.
Weare/Robinson Ottawa Canada.Petty Wilts.
Simper Wilts.West Wilts.West Vermont.Kelsey Surrey.Chappell
Chapel Essex.McPherson,M Pherson MacPherson
Perthshire Scotland,Cork,Dublin,Drogheda Ireland.
Census information Crown Copy right from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk