Author Topic: Ann MacDonald / Healds b.Dysart 1853 d.Kirkcaldy 1882  (Read 2854 times)

Offline surfingpiglet

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ann MacDonald / Healds b.Dysart 1853 d.Kirkcaldy 1882
« on: Thursday 12 July 18 23:20 BST (UK) »
I am looking for any information about Ann MacDonald, born 1853 in Dysart in Fife.  Ann MacDonald was my GG.Grandmother, mother of my GGranma Jemima Nicol and we know very little bit about her. 

Ann's father was Alexander MacDonald, believed to have been born in Wemyss in Fife around 1811 - 1815. He was a Master Mariner who sailed on the 'Baltic Run'. Also on other trading ships. Her mother, we believe may have been Margaret Wemyss Wallace b. 1817.

Ann MacDonald was married to Alfred Healds & died of TB on 1882 in Kirkcaldy leaving 2 children.
1)Jemima, my G Grandma b. 1876 d.1963, who was married to Andrew Nicol, painter.
2)Frederick  Healds, known as Uncle Fred, b. 1879. He was lost at sea when his ship 'The Mary Rose' was sunk off Norway in WW1 in 1917.

My interest is to find more about my GG Granma, Ann MacDonald Healds, her husband Alfred Healds & her father Alexander MacDonald, Master Mariner.  I have photographs of Jemima & Andrew Nicol and Fred Healds I have attached.  I hope someone can help me fill in some blanks.

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ann MacDonald / Healds
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 12 July 18 23:25 BST (UK) »
Did you get the information about her parents from her marriage and death certificates?

Have you found her in the censuses?

Offline surfingpiglet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Ann MacDonald / Healds b.Dysart 1853 d.Kirkcaldy 1882
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 12 July 18 23:43 BST (UK) »
Info known to grandmother. 
Also confirmed her father was Alexander MacDonald from her certificate of 1st brief marriage to Pecedina Lamperina, a Portuguese sailor who disappeared within a few months.  I have not found a Marriage Certificate to Mr Healds, but she was known as Ann Healds - and children were called Healds.
The Librarian found her fathers Master Mariner Certificate, but the dob is slightly different from the date I found on Ancestry though other information is the same. We do know though that he was born in Wemyss and lived in Dysart, when Ann was born. Her mother was found on Ancestry but not confirmed. Want  to tie it together and try to understand what happened to her as her children were fostered out to extended family and her life is a mystery.  Hoping someone knows -  maybe a member of the MacDonald or Healds family - or a better researcher than me.

Offline Wendy2305

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 13 July 18 01:27 BST (UK) »
Hi there is a will and marriage of Fred Healds on Scotlands People although his name on these are Alfred MacDonald Heales  His birth is registered Alfred Heales McDonald there may be an entry in the RCE which would name his father attached to his birth certi and a birth for a Jemima McDonald born 1875 Kirkcaldy which is probably your gt grandmother
 Ann's death was in 1884 it doesn't look like she married Mr Healds as she is indexed under McDonald and Lamperina On Ann's death cert it should give you the names of her parents including her mothers ms if known to the infomant

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 13 July 18 06:11 BST (UK) »
Have you used scotlandspeople to get more information?

https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/

If you register you can do extensive free searches, but you need to pay to see certificates?

Offline Wendy2305

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 13 July 18 11:22 BST (UK) »
there was a marriage between an Alexander Mc Donald and Margaret Wallace in 1838 in Wemyss they appear to have a daughter Ann in the 1861 census although haven't found a baptisim
They also had a daughter Jemima which could also point to being your family and a daughter Alexis born 1839 Alexis would be the easiest to find in the 1861 census On Scotlands people the family appear to be split over 2 pages

There is a family tree on Ancestry which has Alexis and Ann they have Ann's husband as Alfred Healds have you seen this My subscripion has run out so can't check my self

The marriage in 1873 beteween Ann and Pecidona on Scotlands People will give you parents names including mothers ms which would confirm if this is your family

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 13 July 18 16:11 BST (UK) »
Just to add -
1881 Census transcription(LDS)
57 Cowan St. , Kirkcaldy , Fife.
Ann Healds 27 married sailors wife born Dysart Fife
Jemmia Healds 5 daur. annuitant b. Kirkcaldy Fife
Alfred Healds 2 son annuitant b. Kirkcaldy Fife
Alexr. McDonald 20 brother in law unmarried seaman b. Dysart Fife

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 13 July 18 17:19 BST (UK) »
Adding to Wendy2305's info. -
1841 Census transcription(FreeCEN)
Shore Head , Wemyss , Fife(all born Fife).
Alexr Wallace 60 coastwaiter
Margt Wallace 20
Janet F Wallace 5
Alexis McDonald 2
John McDonald 9m

1851 Census transcription(FreeCEN)
Cross Wynd , Dysart , Fife(all born Fife).
Margaret McDonald 32 married born Dysart
Lexia McDonald 12 dau b. West Wemyss
John McDonald 10 son b. West Wemyss
Jemima McDonald 2 dau b. West Wemyss

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 13 July 18 17:36 BST (UK) »
SP has a death for a Margaret McDonald(other surname Wallace) , age 44 , 1862 Dysart Fife ,
mother's maiden surname Cunnison.

Familysearch has Margaret Wallace , born 16th Dec. 1817 Dysart Fife , parents Alexander Wallace and Alexis Cunnison.

ev