Author Topic: Papworth Everard help  (Read 741 times)

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Papworth Everard help
« on: Friday 13 July 18 17:59 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Huntingdonshire Archives contacted me today about Timothy Burton of Great Gransden, and they found a 'settlement paper' from 1734 that declared that Timothy and Ann Burton were 'legally settled in Papworth Everard' but 'addressed to Great Gransden'. The lady speculated that Timothy may have lived in Papworth Everard before he married in Great Gransden in 1726. However, she said that the couple appear to have never lived in Papworth Everard. Can anyone find a christening or any record of Timothy from Papworth Everard?

I'd appreciate any help!

Adam
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline StanleysChesterton

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My G-grandmother on right, 1955
    • View Profile
Re: Papworth Everard help
« Reply #1 on: Friday 13 July 18 19:56 BST (UK) »
I read that as meaning: "This is a document that is addressed to Gt Gransden, that the postman delivered at Gt Gransden.  This document confirms that Timothy and his wife are legally settled in Papworth Everard".

So it looks, to me, as if Tim and Anne are sitting in Gt Gransden either asking to be settled, or because the overseers think they might be a problem if they become chargeable... so Timothy and Anne had a meeting and Timothy said "I'm legally settled in Papworth", so Gt Gransden wrote to Papworth for confirmation and got a reply ... the reply being addressed to Gt Gransden.

I hope what I mean is clear :)

The document is dated 24 April 1734.
Related to: Lots of people!
:)
Mostly Cambridgeshire, Huntingdonshire, some Kent and Dorset.

Elizabeth Long/Elizabeth Wilson/Elizabeth Long Wilson, b 1889 Caxton - where are you?
- -
Seeking: death year/location of Albert Edward Morgan, born Cambridge 1885/86 to Hannah & Edward Morgan of 33 Cambridge Place.
WW1 soldier, service number 8624, 2nd battalion, Highland Light Infantry.

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Papworth Everard help
« Reply #2 on: Friday 13 July 18 20:11 BST (UK) »
Got it. Thanks!
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart