Author Topic: Charles Haley of Cardinham  (Read 829 times)

Offline daftoldbat

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Charles Haley of Cardinham
« on: Saturday 14 July 18 14:42 BST (UK) »
Hi! I have managed to trace my Haley family back to Charles, born around 1770 in Cardinham, who married Ann and had Charles in 1794, William in 1797 and Martin Gilbert in 1804.Is I have Charles born 1746 in Braddock (Broadoak) who married Margaret Saunders in 1773 and who was buried in Cardinham, but am completely unable to connect the two. Cannot find a Charles born to Charles and Margaret, so he could be the son of one of the brothers - Nicholas, Thomas, Abraham or William. Can anyone help?

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: Charles Haley of Cardinham
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 14 July 18 14:45 BST (UK) »
1773 Marriage has Charles abode St. Veep if thats of any help.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline daftoldbat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 14 July 18 14:56 BST (UK) »
Blimey - that was quick! Unfortunately thoough, not much help, as I am unable to find a birth/baptism for my Charles, Martin Gilbertīs father and canīt find him on the Cornwall OPC, Family Search, Geni, Wiki, Find My Past or anywhere else. I need to make a connection between him and the family in Broadoak, which must exist.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 14 July 18 15:00 BST (UK) »
I didnt ready your query properly so will go over it again now.

I the mean time had already typed all this up, may help or not!

A Charles Haly (I presume to one who married Margaret) was a Witness to the Marriage of William Haly/Elizabeth Saunders 28 Dec 1774 same Church.
Brothers married Sisters?
Note  on Register;
Banns 27 Nov, 4, 11 Dec. Bride & groom signed. Bride's surname Sanders and a 'sojourner of tp' in Banns.

Charles Haly was buried 24 Jun 1822 age 76**
Margaret Haly 27 Jan 1823 age 77**

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 14 July 18 15:12 BST (UK) »
FreeREG has some Bradock records.

A NICHOLAS Daly married Miriam WILLCOCK 02 Jan 1732/3
Several children them them on there.
There seems to be a gap in Baptisms 1763-1780

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 14 July 18 23:38 BST (UK) »
I think your assumed birthdate of 1770 for Charles Haley married to Ann Smith is somewhat off.

Charles Haley (who married Margaret Saunders) was bc.1746, bur.24/6/1822 Cardinham and I believe that he was bp.2/11/1746 Boconnac, son of Nicholas and Miriam (their children included a Miriam 1779 and a Nicholas 1773).

I believe the Charles who married Ann Smith was much older than you think and that he was the Charles Haly bp.1/11/1748 Braddock, son of Thomas Haly and Elizabeth Gilbert (hence son Martin's second name).   Charles bc.1748, bur.6/5/1809 Braddock.   His widow Ann may well have remarried 30/3/1812 St. Winnow (where their 3 children had been baptised) to a George Wherry (Ann Haley shown as a widow).

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline daftoldbat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 15 July 18 07:19 BST (UK) »
Thankyou so much for that all of that information - it hadnīt occurred to me that the Charles I was looking for, who married Ann Smith in Padstow, was born so much earlier than I had reckoned on and could be the one bp in 1746. Your information makes perfect sense. I already have notes on all of the descendents of Nicholas and Miriam Willcock (nče Bunt) and the fact that "my" Charles named two of his children Nicholas and Miriam indicated that they were related. I greatly appreciate all of your help and will enjoy tying the information into my tree.