Author Topic: Pochin mystery  (Read 2331 times)

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Pochin mystery
« on: Saturday 14 July 18 19:28 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Back to square one :(

Whoever is a descendant of George Pochin, born in Gilmorton in 1744 and dying in Wigston in 1820 is a descendant of the Pochin family of Barkby Hall. Sadly it isn't me.

I did know of two marriages for people named George Pochin in Wigston, one in 1765 (to Alice Bruin) and one in 1786 (to my ancestor, Jane Bailey - of whom I know nothing). However, today I found a burial for Jane Pochin in the 1790s, that gives her husband as George. This therefore rules out the 1744 christening and 1820 burial for my side of the family, after all the information I've collected.

All I know is that George married Jane Bailey (know nothing of her either) in Wigston in 1786. My ancestor was born there in 1791. I don't have a christening or a burial for George. I hope I can still link my family up to the one I researched so extensively.

Any help would be great,

Adam
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
Re: Pochin mystery
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 14 July 18 19:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Adam

Just to clarify - There is a George that died 1820 and was of Great Wigston ?

There is a Will of a George Pochin dated 1820 and leaves his estate to wife Jane - this would suggest she was still alive and not the burial you have found in 1786.

Could this still be your family ?

Claire

Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 14 July 18 19:58 BST (UK) »
George Pochin & Jane Bailey 28 Apr. 1786 Wigston Magna

Maybe a trip to Wigston Magna and the records office there will help... if not possible http://www.wigstonhistoricalsociety.co.uk/
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 14 July 18 20:53 BST (UK) »
Does it? In which case the Pochins are my kin! My George would have been around 40 when he married, so when I found the burial for Alice Pochin I assumed that the George born in 1744 was her husband. Thanks!
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 14 July 18 20:56 BST (UK) »
Just to be clear:

There were two George Pochins marrying in Wigston. One in 1765 to Alice Bruin and one in 1786 to Jane Bailey. I assumed that they were one and the same, and that Alice had died and George remarried (as much older). However, Alice Pochin died in 1791, after my George married Jane Bailey. The will separates the two and re-affirms my links!

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 14 July 18 20:59 BST (UK) »
Can anyone find a christening for Jane Bailey prior to 1786, and any burials post-1820 in Wigston?

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 14 July 18 21:39 BST (UK) »
George Pochin & Jane Bailey 28 Apr. 1786 Wigston Magna

Maybe a trip to Wigston Magna and the records office there will help... if not possible http://www.wigstonhistoricalsociety.co.uk/

That way you can see the real PR record and also check for baptisms.......

I think I saw he was 42yrs when he married and the surname 'Bailey' is a fairly established Wigston Magna name ( could be connected to your ancestry or not)
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 14 July 18 21:58 BST (UK) »
I'm away at the moment and I see the marriage record is on Ancestry, but I'll contact them to see what they have. Thanks.

Offline Bunnygirl

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Keep plodding on you Will find it!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 14 July 18 22:26 BST (UK) »
Hi
There are 2 burials on NBI for All Saints Wigston post 1820
Jane Pochin 20 Sept 1837 aged 73yrs
Jane Pochin May 1869 aged 84yrs Welford Road Cem Leicester

Regards
Bunnygirl
Leicestershire; Rothley,  Fowkes, Biddles, Dawson, Allen, Lambert, Tebbett, Needham , Horner, Cooper, Pagett, Jaques, Kinton, Newbald, Duffill    Halford, Cope, Bywater , Hunt
Bedfordshire; Cardington, Trueman, Wilstead  Bridges, Clark(e), Redman
Essex; Eady, Newman, Copsey, Rawlin, Gilders, Smith  
Rotherhithe; Henderson, Eady. Lambert
Rutland & Bedfordshire  Staffod, Glover, Tom(b)lin
Suffolk  (Wissington) Eady.
Lincolnshire, Tomlin