Author Topic: Find My Past - pre emptive/predictive search problem?  (Read 2872 times)

Offline squawki11

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Find My Past - pre emptive/predictive search problem?
« on: Sunday 15 July 18 15:31 BST (UK) »
A couple of years or more ago I dropped my FindMyPast sub due to change in its format and resultant lack of user friendliness. I was quite impressed when I re-joined late last year but am now again considering opting out. Why? An increasing problem has manifested itself. Initially it was confined to the "area" search box's apparent reluctance to accept correction and or new input. This has now spread to every search box apart from on the initial signed in screen. It would appear to be a sort of pre emptive and/or predictive input bug. If you want to change First name by highlighting and backspace or delete, it refuses and the box can only eventually be cleared by repeated attempts. Input is similarly frustrating with multiple taps on laptop keys before the first character is "allowed"! It gets easier by 3rd or 4th...Every search box shows this same problem.

I've done all the usual things such as virus check and switched off "Autofill" to absolutely no avail. Delete browsing history is ticked upon browser closure and whether it's IE or Edge, FindMyPast's search boxes remain obdurately frustrating.

FindMyPast have been informed and their response so far has been "It's a browser autofill problem" but I've switched that off....

Finally, I thought I'd try FireFox and the problem has gone!

I'd be most interested to learn if others have experienced this problem or is it unique to me? Any ideas of a solution that would allow use of IE/Edge for the remaining month of my sub, please?

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Find My Past - pre emptive/predictive search problem?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 15 July 18 16:43 BST (UK) »
I cannot explain the reason for your problem, but if it helps I can only say that I don't have any such problem and I am using Edge.
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 15 July 18 18:22 BST (UK) »
I am amazed at some of the differences experienced when using different browsers. Over the weekend, using Ancestry for free I was even getting consistently different numbers of hits depending on whether I was using Chrome on my desktop PC or Chrome with an advert blocker on my Android tablet.

Martin

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 15 July 18 19:13 BST (UK) »

I'd be most interested to learn if others have experienced this problem or is it unique to me? Any ideas of a solution that would allow use of IE/Edge for the remaining month of my sub, please?
I could be wrong but I think it is because of the sandbox method of protecting Edge from malicious attacks.
This is used instead of a proper security fix.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline tillypeg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 15 July 18 19:29 BST (UK) »
It happens to me sometimes too, I only use IE on a laptop.  The Location box on bmd searches for instance is particularly annoying - if I try & type say Yorkshire, sometimes it lets me, sometimes I end up with rkire as the letters just disappear as you type and sometimes I get a nice drop-down list for me to chose York, Yorkshire/Yorkshire/Leeds, Yorkshire etc.  Just grin & bear it ;)

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 15 July 18 19:41 BST (UK) »
Of course, another solution is not to use Internet Exploder, or Edge?! ;D ;D

I stopped using IE some 20 years ago.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 15 July 18 21:17 BST (UK) »
Can’t say i’ve had the problem on my desktop pc (ie) or my iphone or ipad 🤔
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline StanleysChesterton

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My G-grandmother on right, 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 15 July 18 21:55 BST (UK) »
Last week I bought a new PC with Win10 on it, moving over from XP Home.

I noticed that it's very annoying when you try to overtype things and I've been struggling with lots of randomly appearing autocorrects too.

No idea when it does it, so couldn't absolutely replicate the behaviour .... but it's annoying.
Related to: Lots of people!
:)
Mostly Cambridgeshire, Huntingdonshire, some Kent and Dorset.

Elizabeth Long/Elizabeth Wilson/Elizabeth Long Wilson, b 1889 Caxton - where are you?
- -
Seeking: death year/location of Albert Edward Morgan, born Cambridge 1885/86 to Hannah & Edward Morgan of 33 Cambridge Place.
WW1 soldier, service number 8624, 2nd battalion, Highland Light Infantry.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 15 July 18 23:08 BST (UK) »
Last week I bought a new PC with Win10 on it, moving over from XP Home.

I noticed that it's very annoying when you try to overtype things and I've been struggling with lots of randomly appearing autocorrects too.

No idea when it does it, so couldn't absolutely replicate the behaviour .... but it's annoying.

What LANGUAGE is it set to?  English English or American English etc.....
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.