Author Topic: Tracing family roots in County Cavan, Ireland  (Read 1014 times)

Offline CathLee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Tracing family roots in County Cavan, Ireland
« on: Sunday 15 July 18 16:53 BST (UK) »
Looking for some assistance.

I have traced my great great grand parents back to the district of Kilnaleck, townland of Killietogher. My great great grand parents had 5 children between 1864-1878. I have civil registrations records for all bar one. I have baptisms for 3 of the children, in Crosserlough Church.

My problem is I cannot find a record of my great great grandparents marriage. I was hoping a marriage line would have a note of their parents names. I have been thinking they must have been married as they were baptised Roman Catholics at Crosserlough Church. So I assume that they would have to produce a marriage certificate to have their children baptised here?

I am visiting Ballyjamesduff in the Autumn which is the nearest market town to Killietogher. So I would like to go with as much information as possible.

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Tracing family roots in County Cavan, Ireland
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 15 July 18 17:08 BST (UK) »

... So I assume that they would have to produce a marriage certificate to have their children baptised here? ...

No.

Welcome, to assist responders, can you provide names?

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 15 July 18 17:18 BST (UK) »
The marriage will likely be in the brides parish if not the same as the grooms parish.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 15 July 18 17:26 BST (UK) »
Were the baptisms in Crosserlough parish?
Marriages records for that parish don't start until 1868
https://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0826

Offline CathLee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 15 July 18 19:06 BST (UK) »
Hi

Thanks for your responses.

Can't believe I missed those dates for the marriages at crosserlough. Looking at something for too long and seeing nothing  :-[ so thanks for that. If anyone has any pointers for where I could look next to further my search. I would love to get one generation further.

Their names were Peter Lee and Mary Mulligan. Their children were; Peter Lee (1864), Hugh Lee(1869)(my great grandfather), James Lee(1871), Mary Lee(1873) and Anne Lee(1876). All baptised at Crosserlough Parish. All born while the family lived at Killietogher townland. Peter Lee gives his occupation as a Labourer in a when registering one birth but an occupier in an other. I know they were living in King Street somewhere in Cavan in 1905.

thanks

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 15 July 18 19:43 BST (UK) »

... Their children were; Peter Lee (1864), Hugh Lee(1869)(my great grandfather), James Lee(1871), Mary Lee(1873) and Anne Lee(1876) ...

Bit of a gap between the first two... looks like a daughter Margaret Lee was born in 1866:

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1866/03507/2289472.pdf

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 15 July 18 19:48 BST (UK) »
The spelling is slightly different but it's the same place in Griffith's Valuation there are no Lee families in KILLYTOGHER(print date 1857) however there are 3 Mulligan famlies, John, Hugh and Owen so it may be the case that Peter Lee married into the Mulligan farm, ie he is working for his father in law.

Looking at how they named there sons, I would expect Peter's father to be Peter and Mary's father to be Hugh, so it's possible Hugh Mulligan in Griffith's is Mary's father.
http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index.xml?action=nameSearch

all assumption of course.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 15 July 18 19:55 BST (UK) »
A Hugh Mulligan died 1878 informant Mary Lee
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1878/020510/7197202.pdf

Edited to add it doesn't say she was his daughter

He was a tailor, if his wife's death is given as widow of a tailor you'd have her, could be a lot of death's to look through.

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 15 July 18 19:58 BST (UK) »
I can also see a transcribed baptism of a Susan Lee for parents with those names (Peter Lee / Mary Mulligan), it took place in Crosserlough parish on 1 December 1883 and the address was the townland of Derrylahan:

https://www.townlands.ie/cavan/castlerahan/crosserlough/graddum/derrylahan/