Author Topic: Baker of Willenhall  (Read 3519 times)

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Baker of Willenhall
« Reply #27 on: Monday 16 July 18 20:42 BST (UK) »
Henry Taylor's birthplace looks to be Darleston in 1851 and Darleston in 1871 -- he is lodging in Willenhall in 1851 and a Blacksmith - at least I think that is him. Age in 1851 given as 30!

(I was checking to see if he had perhaps changed his surname -- OR it was just an error on the marriage)

Haven't yet looked for a baptism or an 1841 entry -- that would be useful.
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 16 July 18 20:45 BST (UK) »
Sorry for all the confusion on my part but in your first post you did specify brother of a direct ancestor, and the Taylor/Butler confusion hasn't helped.

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 16 July 18 20:56 BST (UK) »
In 1841 Henry Taylor was a 'Jobbing Smith' in Willenhall -- looks to be lodging with miscellaneous people. Hence - the same occupation as at marriage and on a later census.

Looks even more like an error in the surname at marriage. Does anyone else agree with this assumption or am I going off on one!
Places of interest;

Offline angel~eyes

• RootsChat Veteran
  • so many treasures yet to be discovered
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 16 July 18 21:00 BST (UK) »
Yes I have 're read my first post and I'm not very clear dyslexic I'm afraid. That's the same census I found Henry on in 1851 he gives his birthplace as Derbyshire so maybe he had something to hide M
Lounds/Loundes/Lowns/Lownds/Lowndes
Kendrick/Goodhead
Martin/Mocroft/Moorcroft
Finch/Boden/Brazenhall
Cadman/Vanes
Beddard/Goodman
Innocent/Lagoe
Taylor/Walker/Baker/Starkey/Buckley
Dudley, Willenhall, Mancetter, Atherstone, Measham, Church Broughton

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 17 July 18 12:35 BST (UK) »
In 1841 Henry Taylor was a 'Jobbing Smith' in Willenhall -- looks to be lodging with miscellaneous
Looks even more like an error in the surname at marriage. Does anyone else agree with this assumption or am I going off on one!

I think its a mistake as Pennines says as they are both illiterate so probably wouldn't have realised that certificate was wrong.

Henry doesn't help as his age wavers so much but interestingly there are two baptisms in Measham Derbyshire

23.3.1817 Henry parents Henry and Ann
27.6.1824 Henry parents Henry and Sarah

There is a Henry and Sarah Taylor living in Walsall 1851 both born Measham

Willow x
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and is for academic and non-commercial research purposes only<br /><br />Researching: Hilton (Wolverhampton & Tamworth) , Simkiss & Mears (Wolverhampton & ?) Bowkett & Nash (Ledbury & Wolverhampton) Knight & Beard (Gloucestershire), Colley (Tibberton) Hoggins (Willenhall) Jones (Bilston), Harris & Bourne (Droitwich) Matthews (Wolverhampton & High Offley) Partridge (Monmouthshire)<br /><br /

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 17 July 18 14:21 BST (UK) »
Willow -- those baptisms are really interesting!

There is only one census in which he has put Measham, Derbyshire as his birth place - on the others I have seen, he has shown Darlaston twice - and then Willenhall. I haven't been able to find a baptism in Staffordshire though. So I think you have tracked his birthplace.

As you say his age varies so much. His birth year, at what I think is his death in 1893 -- is c. 1818. So I rather think the 1817 one in Measham might be it. He was considerably older than Louisa and the couple were probably trying to narrow the gap.

In 1841 his age, rounded down, is 20 - ie 1821. At this point he had no reason to give a wrong age, so if he was 24 by June 1841 (ie born early 1817 or late 1816) -- that would bring his age to 20 on that census.

There is a Henry, widower in 1851 still in Measham -- living with a daughter Sarah --- checking Sarah's baptism, her parents were also Henry and Ann --- so I think that is the other potential father Henry, who you found.

Looking at baptisms for children of Henry and Ann -- there were also a William and a John -- and Henry and Louisa Taylor did name 2 of their sons William and John (not that it proves anything - they are pretty common names. I am grasping at straws!)

Places of interest;

Offline angel~eyes

• RootsChat Veteran
  • so many treasures yet to be discovered
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 13 May 22 21:28 BST (UK) »
Update on this Harriet Taylors parents marriage was the Louisa Baker/Henry Butler one. I have now confirmed this by a) a baptism in Measham confirming his mother as Buckley (perhaps mistranscribed as Butler) b) the marriage cert confirmed his father's forename and from there I found a marriage for his parents in Measham mothers maiden being Buckley c) I had a dna match through Henrys mother Sarah Buckley.

Thank you all once again sorry its took so long to reply M
Lounds/Loundes/Lowns/Lownds/Lowndes
Kendrick/Goodhead
Martin/Mocroft/Moorcroft
Finch/Boden/Brazenhall
Cadman/Vanes
Beddard/Goodman
Innocent/Lagoe
Taylor/Walker/Baker/Starkey/Buckley
Dudley, Willenhall, Mancetter, Atherstone, Measham, Church Broughton