Author Topic: Looking for death records of my GrGr Grandparents Gerrard & Margaret Gourley  (Read 4292 times)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for death records of my GrGr Grandparents Gerrard & Margaret Gourley
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 01 September 18 11:51 BST (UK) »
He's probably alive in 1878 if he died in 1901!

Gerard GOURLEY Date of grant: 25 Sep 1901; Date of death: 27 Aug 1901; Occupation: Farmer; Residence: Bulla
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline apthorpea

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for death records of my GrGr Grandparents Gerrard & Margaret Gourley
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 01 September 18 13:20 BST (UK) »
Thanks the Gerrard Gourley who died in Australia was his son. 
Stewart, Reilly, Montgomery, Cheshire, Lyttle, Rankin, Apthorpe, Hart, Anderson,  Gourley

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 04 September 18 11:56 BST (UK) »
a Gerrard Gourley mentioned on the Griffiths Valuation 1857 at Clonleigh

donegal resources

http://www.donegalgenealogy.com

then click on Clonleigh

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 04 September 18 12:36 BST (UK) »
a Margaret Gourley under age spinster married a Charles Stewart of Drumclamph, Ardstraw Tyrone on 18.11.1846

Father Jerard Gourley of Clonleigh possible spelling mistake of first name.

http://www.cotyroneireland.com/churchrecord/ballindriat.html

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 04 September 18 12:38 BST (UK) »
you might have to type the address yourself.

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile

Offline apthorpea

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 04 September 18 20:49 BST (UK) »
Thankyou for all your information  Margaret Gourley and Charles Stewart were my Gr Grandparents.  One of Gerrard's daughters by his first wife Margaret Starrett.   The spelling of these names change quite a bit.
 I have had a trawl through various records and my hypothesis is that looking at the children’s records from his 2nd marriage, in  March 1873 , Sarah Gourley,  leaves Castlefin to live at  Bishop Street in the city of Londonderry, she is 21 years of age and as far as I know the eldest of Jane’s (his second wife) children.  Her father may have been alive in March as she adds Farmer to his profession on her marriage certificate.   Robert Gourley is 17 years old and the following year, 1874 receives a fine for not having a dog licence.  We know Gerrard purchased dog licences from the records.  In  June 1875 at the Irish Petty Sessions, he kicked an assailant on his mother’s land, which he was fined for.  Robert didn’t appear to get into trouble before this. In referring to his mother's land as oppose to his father's land may be relevant.  By 1877 he is 21 years of age, living in Kirkminster and married. In 1878 he was witness to his mother allowing farm animals to stray on to a neighbours land, which Jane was fined for. Ann Jane is 15 years of age in 1873 and a couple of years later at  17 years she married she added that Jarot, her father is deceased on her marriage certificate.  Which is proof I feel that he died before she married in 1875.     She had her first 2 daughters christened in Castlederg, so presumable she was living in that area before she immigrated to New  Zealand in 1879.   The youngest boy was 11 years old in 1873, by 1881 he is a carpenter on a ship and living with Sarah Morrison his eldest sister in Scotland.  Although he returns to live with his mother in Ireland by 1901.

I think Gerrard died in 1873, although  an order for non payment of £1.1 shilling was made against him on Oct 1878, or  he may have  already died although his name may have been  still ‘head of the house’  similar to  the old valuation records for N Ireland
I don’t think the family were good at recording things so Gerrard was probably still registered as the Head of the House after his death.  I haven’t seen the Valuation Revision Books for Donegal, but I feel that the family may not have changed the name when Gerrard died. 

Unfortunately they are on microfilm. They may give us an idea when he moved to the area.

FHL  BRITISH FILM  836433  iTEMS 1 & 2   1858 - 1932
V 15  CLONLEIGH SOUTH  --CHURCHTOWN  AND  GORTIN SOUTH

Thanks Again Angela
Stewart, Reilly, Montgomery, Cheshire, Lyttle, Rankin, Apthorpe, Hart, Anderson,  Gourley