Author Topic: Border Reivers clan names  (Read 11033 times)

Offline grrankin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Border Reivers clan names
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 25 April 21 05:03 BST (UK) »
My great-grandmother was a Little from Stirlingshire and I suspect we may be from Reiver stock. I recently have discovered what Reivers actually were and the curse laid upon them by *that man*.

As my great-grandmother's and grandmother's family name was mentioned in that curse I have taken it very personally and am horrified that such a thing ever occurred. It's witchcraft of the highest order and I am very angry about it and feel very personally attacked by it!

If I ever meet a Dunbar I will not be held responsible for my actions (I probably would be, though, sadly).

We anybody else absolutely horrified by that curse? It's the foulest thing I have ever read and to know it was (most likely) aimed at my family just fills me with fury! I don't care what people did, they didn't deserve that tirade of filth aimed at them and from all the pulpits in the land, no less!

Off to quietly fume and plot revenge on behalf of the Reiving families! Down with the Dunbars (boo, hiss!!)  >:( >:( >:(

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 25 April 21 09:01 BST (UK) »
Probably wise not to take it to heart grrankin.   ;D

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 25 April 21 10:30 BST (UK) »
Archbishop Dunbar also burned alive two Franciscan friars outside Glasgow Cathedral, one was a Jerome Russell if memory serves, he later tried to pin the blame the Dominicans for organising their trial. The abuse of power & the burnings of reformers Patrick Hamilton the Abbot of Fearn & George Wishart brought about the Reformation.
 Having Dunbar's curse on Borderers carved on a boulder in Carlisle for the tourists wasn't a very sensible idea, I blame it for Brexit myself!  ;D

Bests,
Skoosh.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 25 April 21 14:12 BST (UK) »
Anent the monition cursing of Archbishop Dunbar, here is a prayer to counter his Grace's somewhat exuberant bell, book & candle curse on Borderers in general and doubtless folk called Little even,

https://www.hiskingdomprophesy.com/monition-cursing/

Good luck with that grrankin!

Yours,
Skoosh.

Offline clearly

• RootsChat Senior
  • If we understand the past we understand the future
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 26 April 21 12:53 BST (UK) »
I think Sallyyorks and Iluleah back in 2018 seem to consign the Reivers to myth and legend. Nothing could be further from the truth. They were a very real and constant threat on both sides of the borders and as for evidence of their depredations, there is masses of it. So great was the threat that a whole new codex of law "Border Law" had to be drawn up to try and bring some sort of normality to the region.

Regarding the curse of Bishop Dunbar, do I feel cursed? As a Forster of reiver ancestry; not in the slightest.
Forster Cul, Harrison Cul, Wood Cul Yks, Castley Cul & Wes, Lorimer Cul and Perth,Innis Cul, Casson, Cul, Johnston,Cul & Nfk, Carruthers Cul, Ewart Cul, Jardine Cul & Dmf, Story Cul, ONeill Cul & NI, Davis Cul & Ldn,

Offline MANDY61

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 24 August 21 14:04 BST (UK) »
My ancestors were reivers, Armstrongs and Johnstones. I have read the Steel Bonnets, great book. Not all the names were recorded, maybe it's because they didn't participate in raids regardless of whether they married into clans or not.