Author Topic: Border Reivers clan names  (Read 10983 times)

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Border Reivers clan names
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 17 July 18 21:34 BST (UK) »
The curse on Borderers was issued by the Archbishop of Glasgow who obviously thought they  deserved it!  ;D

Skoosh.

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 17 July 18 23:05 BST (UK) »
It was before my time in the USA but Richard Nixon, the US President who had a bad ending as President would never have got my vote.

Offline JACK GEE

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 17 July 18 23:41 BST (UK) »
The Reivers List - does the name Crichton/Creighton/Crayton appear?
My Creighton brickwall was born in Donegal and moved to Gosforth circa 1800. But i have a theory that  they moved from the border regions  to Ireland and then came back to Gosforth.

Cheers
Jack Gee
CECIL - DNA, GILBERT-ShirehamptonEng-Vic/Australia,HERWEG-WoltwiescheGERmany-Vic/Aust,CREIGHTON-Donegal-NI,Gosforth/CumbriaEng-Vic/Aust,MCCLURE-Cloghroe/KillynureDonegal NI,Vic/Aust,PATULLO-StMadoesPerthshire-Vic/Aust,NICHOLAS-Nth CheritonEng/Vic Aust,COX-ShirehamptonEng,FORD-MidsomerNortonEng,THOMAS-Pilton/Devon,EDWARDS-Bristol/Eng,BOND-Norfolk,NAU-Germany,SINGLETON-MuncasterEng,LADLAY-GosforthEng,JOHNSTONE-BalmerinoFife, TEMPLE-StranorlarNI,CRAIGIE,HALL,HANNAM,GINGELL,HALE,OSMAN,HARVEY,ALLEN.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 17 July 18 23:52 BST (UK) »
There is a “millenium subway” (I know, sounds strange) in Carlisle and the pavement has the known Reivers names carved into the pavement and there are names in the subway that don’t appear on the list, examples such as Blackadder, Turner... 
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=millennium+subway+carlisle&client=safari&hl=en-gb&prmd=msivn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjM3_LZ96XcAhXEDsAKHQEWBVcQ_AUIEygD&biw=768&bih=899#imgrc=wrnQvCEwyw75OM:

I've walked through that subway a few times to visit  the Museum and Art Gallery. Some of my names are there but no proof that they were  Borderers in the 16th century  :-\
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 18 July 18 08:38 BST (UK) »
James VI had a clear-oot of troublesome Borderers to Ireland where they've been causing trouble ever since!

Gavin Dunbar's Curse,    www.ulsterancestry.com/ShowFreePage.php?id=482

Skoosh.

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 18 July 18 09:10 BST (UK) »
My Paternal grandmother was a Douglas!  When I asked my Dad about them, he just said "they were a load of old horse thieves from up around the Borders" - I've only got them back to Roxborogh ( sp??), never been able to separate the many Roberts and Archibalds , and don't think I'll ever get any further with them!  ;D ;D ;D
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline sallyyorks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 18 July 18 09:25 BST (UK) »
Can't see them on here either http://www.borderreivers.co.uk/Border%20Families/BORDER%20SURNAMES%20%202.htm and it states
"Names will be added only when there is documentary evidence that a family was established in the Borders during the 16th century being the time when reiving was most intense. Please do not ask for your family name to the added unless you can conform to this criteria."

The problem is that when you click on the surnames, most of them give no evidence that they were actual reivers, just that they lived in the area
Actual 'reivers' were only mentioned a couple of times in original documents (Elizabethan) and those only mention a very small amount of surnames. Folk tales and ballads have exaggerated the story over the centuries but they are not based on hard facts

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 18 July 18 11:46 BST (UK) »
Can't see them on here either http://www.borderreivers.co.uk/Border%20Families/BORDER%20SURNAMES%20%202.htm and it states
"Names will be added only when there is documentary evidence that a family was established in the Borders during the 16th century being the time when reiving was most intense. Please do not ask for your family name to the added unless you can conform to this criteria."

The problem is that when you click on the surnames, most of them give no evidence that they were actual reivers, just that they lived in the area
Actual 'reivers' were only mentioned a couple of times in original documents (Elizabethan) and those only mention a very small amount of surnames. Folk tales and ballads have exaggerated the story over the centuries but they are not based on hard facts

Yes that was my impression and the reality at that time for any proof is very difficult to find for anyone/anywhere, so unless someone was imprisoned and there are some Manorial records that identify the person by name, crime, sentence etc

The arty side of me loves the art insulation and I love folklore which is all part of that, but ( for me) it doesn't sit well with FH research
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline sirsimon

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 14 July 19 21:46 BST (UK) »
thank you everyone for helping trying to clarify the confusion.

If the Steeles were not border reivers, then I wonder where they came from, some branches moved to Durham, Yorkshire and Lancashire, but they all came from Northern Cumberland.

Is it possible that the Steeles were a Scottish Clan? It seems unlikely, but they must have come from somewhere

thanks