Author Topic: Border Reivers clan names  (Read 10982 times)

Offline sirsimon

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Border Reivers clan names
« on: Monday 16 July 18 18:24 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone,

Yesterday I was researching the Border Reiver clans, whom were families whom lived in the north of Cumberland near the Scottish border. I have looked on a roll of surnames that were members of the border reiver clans.

Despite my family originating from Stapleton and living within the Bewcastle and Nichol Forest area, the Steel/Steal/Steele family are not listed.

I find this a bit odd, as the family intermarried into other border clans, including Carruthers, Turnbull and Routledge, whom are listed in the roll.

What reasons could there be for their exclusion? They might not have been a border clan, but that is peculiar considering they were born, married and died with other listed members.

any thoughts would be appreciated.

my thanks

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Border Reivers clan names
« Reply #1 on: Monday 16 July 18 19:25 BST (UK) »
I've jotted down a few notes for you and I should think others will come along and have other suggestions.

I've found mention of a 1587 document that lists all surnames/clans that were classed as Reivers and the surname Steel/Steal/Steele is not on the list.  What could have happened is your ancestor came along afterwards and married into one of the original Reiver families and came under that clan's protection.

In 1587 the Parliament of Scotland passed a statute: "For the quieting and keping in obiedince of the disorderit subjectis inhabitantis of the borders hielands and Ilis."[27] Attached to the statute was a Roll of surnames from both the Borders and Highlands. The Borders portion listed 17 'clannis' with a Chief and their associated Marches:

found on this website:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Border_Reivers

==

Further:  Many smaller families sought protection from the large clans and on the below website you'll see that your surname is a Sept of Clan Gordon - I didn't see mention of the Gordon surname on the Reivers List..

http://www.electricscotland.com/webclans/septs.htm
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 17 July 18 09:56 BST (UK) »
Good read,  "The Steel Bonnets!" by George MacDonald Fraser!

Skoosh.

Offline Gan Yam

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Going Home - exploring my past
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 17 July 18 13:26 BST (UK) »
One of my family lines (Millican) comes from the same area, Stapleton, Kirkandrews an Esk area, definite Graham country, but they don’t appear on the Reivers list of names either. They married into known reviving families as well. I can only assume that they either didn’t partake in reviving in a big way, or they were a family wiley enough not to get caught by the Wardens of the Marches!
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 17 July 18 13:57 BST (UK) »
Can't see them on here either http://www.borderreivers.co.uk/Border%20Families/BORDER%20SURNAMES%20%202.htm and it states
"Names will be added only when there is documentary evidence that a family was established in the Borders during the 16th century being the time when reiving was most intense. Please do not ask for your family name to the added unless you can conform to this criteria."
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline Gan Yam

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 17 July 18 14:52 BST (UK) »
Can't see them on here either http://www.borderreivers.co.uk/Border%20Families/BORDER%20SURNAMES%20%202.htm and it states
The list isn’t complete.  There is a “millenium subway” (I know, sounds strange) in Carlisle and the pavement has the known Reivers names carved into the pavement and there are names in the subway that don’t appear on the list, examples such as Blackadder, Turner... 
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=millennium+subway+carlisle&client=safari&hl=en-gb&prmd=msivn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjM3_LZ96XcAhXEDsAKHQEWBVcQ_AUIEygD&biw=768&bih=899#imgrc=wrnQvCEwyw75OM:

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 17 July 18 15:07 BST (UK) »
What a lovely 'monument' ...and I know it is not complete which is why I added the "Names will be added" bit, as on their website it states they don't add unless accompanied by documentation proof

"Names will be added only when there is documentary evidence that a family was established in the Borders during the 16th century being the time when reiving was most intense. Please do not ask for your family name to the added unless you can conform to this criteria."
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston

Offline Gan Yam

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 17 July 18 15:32 BST (UK) »
What a lovely 'monument' ..
The large stone is the cursing stone with a 16th C curse engraved on it against highway men, robbers etc. Some think it should be removed and destroyed as it has brought disaster to the area since installation - 2 devastating floods, foot and mouth disease to name a few!! 

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 17 July 18 16:16 BST (UK) »
Really  :o  I think it is very beautiful