Author Topic: Carrington Mental Hospital (Avondale – Auckland - NZ)  (Read 4043 times)

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • If only they could talk !
    • View Profile
Carrington Mental Hospital (Avondale – Auckland - NZ)
« on: Tuesday 17 July 18 03:56 BST (UK) »
Carrington Mental Hospital (Avondale – Auckland - NZ)

Records from the above hospital, held in the Auckland branch of ARCHIVES NZ, can be full of detail, if the one I looked up for a UK enquiry is anything to go by. My previous Auckland Archives look-ups, had been for Auckland hospital records held, and they were mainly brief single line entries in 1940’s bound registers.

The Carrington request for info pre WW1, was full of detail, and second opinions, as the Courts are charged with deeming there is fit cause for them to assign an individual’s rights of independence, over to an institution, to care for them.

The file contained ‘Medical Certificate under the Mental Health Defectives Act 1911’ certificates signed by two independent doctors, One being the Medical Superintendent of a regional public hospital. Full of detail re NOK, addresses for service, medical and mental health, at time of application.

‘Further details signed by the applicant/s’  More details including those of NOK, of spouse, parent’s and siblings. In this case including known UK addresses.

‘Statutory Declaration’ Application for reception order placed before the Stipendiary Magistrate. Names institution assigned to take care thereof, and to whom is entrusted the responsibility of arranging transfer. (This case a named policeman.)

Medical notes of significance; telegram’s to spouse [NOK] and progress, or other wise; correspondence between the parties. (Original letters in, and carbon copies out.)

Telegram notification of discharge, or DEATH. Correspondence re same with spouse (NOK).
Arrangements for assigning body to undertaker etc, and re personal effects of the deceased / discharged.

As the institutions covered by the Mental Health Act were probably the only ones providing ‘secure wards’ many people were voluntarily, or court assigned to their care, and included patients that today would not be deemed mentally defective. I have one relative that became a severe epileptic and spent the better part of 40 years ‘in care’. While the 100 year privacy rules preclude me looking up that patients records, I know their records, though sad reading, would not be the harrowing account of someone determined to take their own life.

So be advised some of the material I saw could be most distressing to relatives, unfamiliar with mental health disorders; or the care provisions of the times.

A lot has changed for the better in 100 years.

[Example notes: Acutely maniacal, struggling with attendants & declaring intention to rescue baby from people who want to burn it. Says sees that the ship is wrecked & babies are being drowned. Can hear screaming. – Has delusions that children are starving and neglected. And afraid could kill themselves. -  Hears a porter starting an open fire in the adjoining room, and declares to all, that they are going to place their babies on the fire, and then themselves.]

If you are going to look up those records, take a hanky.

Alan.

More info on alternative institutions that patients may have been transferred to:-

http://archives.govt.nz/research/guides/mental-health

Early Settlers & Heritage. Family History.

Offline Janette

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Good night Kiwi
    • View Profile
Re: Carrington Mental Hospital (Avondale – Auckland - NZ)
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 17 July 18 05:52 BST (UK) »
Oooooooooooh Alan,I think you need a cuppa and a wee lay down ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Cheers Janette

PS sometimes you can find a photo of the poor person who is incarcerated

Offline TwiggyTree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 17 July 18 06:10 BST (UK) »
Would you be able to put a link to the Archway file / series you are talking about please?

My previous searches for the Auckland (Provincial) Mental Asylum (what I was always led to believe was Carrington - now the UNITEC site) have only returned an admission register.

I was informed that the personal file I still seek (from 1907/1908) and the asylum's day book were never deposited with Archives New Zealand when they opened their Auckland office in the mid 1980's; so if you have uncovered them I would be excited.
...out of, through, and back from New Zealand to the ends of the Earth

FRYER - MITCHELL - DUKE - WHYTE - McDONALD - TAYLOR - CARPENTER - HARRIS - WILLIAMS - CUNNINGHAME - LUCAS - WHITE - BOTHAM - HOLDAWAY - EYLES - OLSEN - CHASE - TRAILL - BAGGS - HASKINS - EDWARDS - CHING - SHIELDS - POLLARD - HOGAN - SMITH - STANLEY - HALL - ROBERTS - LARKHAM

Offline spades

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 17 July 18 06:29 BST (UK) »
Duplicate post removed as per OP's request.

Spades.

p.s. Evenin' all. ;) :P
ELLERKER - Beverley ERY ENG
HEALEY - IRL?
MURDOCH - Wigtownshire SCT, Otago and Westland NZ
PALING - Nottinghamshire ENG
RILEY - Flamborough; Cottingham; South Dalton ERY, Manitoba CAN, & London ENG
STURTON - Arnold, Nottinghamshire ENG
SUTTRON - All, NRY & DUR ENG
TAYLOR - London ENG
TYLER - London ENG
TERNAN/TIERNAN - Dublin IRL

Offline Janette

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Good night Kiwi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 17 July 18 07:26 BST (UK) »
Good evening Boss :P :P :P :P

Cheers Janette

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • If only they could talk !
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 17 July 18 08:24 BST (UK) »
Would you be able to put a link to the Archway file / series you are talking about please?

My previous searches for the Auckland (Provincial) Mental Asylum (what I was always led to believe was Carrington - now the UNITEC site) have only returned an admission register.

I was informed that the personal file I still seek (from 1907/1908) and the asylum's day book were never deposited with Archives New Zealand, when they opened their Auckland office in the mid 1980's; so if you have uncovered them I would be excited.

Believe I found Record - R25296721 with just a simple name search as per post on original quest for assistance from the UK, by Tshed. Posted two jpg images of the Archives result I got, and SPADES volunteered to look up the Auckland probate Cororner's Inquest, held at Wellington Archives HQ. I was passing on Friday 13th so droped by for a quick look see. Took about 25 photos, 21 of which I have prepared for the OP, but awaiting further instructions from the UK. Don't have a stand so shaking hand does not help my photographing.

Being a little coy on info being published, as seeking other forum assistance, and not sure Tshed wants a full airing of this very sad case.

Will make private contact shortly.

Regards,

Alan.

OOP's EDIT Inquest not probate record. 18/7/18
Early Settlers & Heritage. Family History.

Offline Janette

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Good night Kiwi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 17 July 18 08:43 BST (UK) »
Hi twiggy,

I think Alan might be a bit confused by your question.

It looks like the file you are looking for may still be AWOL

https://www.archway.archives.govt.nz/ItemAdvancedSearchResults.do

There is a large gap with the years you are looking for missing,

Cheers Janette

Offline TwiggyTree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 17 July 18 09:48 BST (UK) »
Thanks Janette.

It doesn't help that the institution had many names either as I learned here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whau_Lunatic_Asylum

Whau Lunatic Asylum (or: Lunatic Asylum at the Whau; later: Auckland Lunatic Asylum, Avondale Lunatic Asylum, Avondale Hospital, Auckland Mental Health Hospital, Oakley Hospital; Carrington Psychiatric Hospital; commonly Carrington/Oakley Hospital)[1] was a psychiatric hospital on the Oakley Farm Estate[2] in Point Chevalier, Auckland, New Zealand. Built in 1865 on the Great North Road, it was one of the largest asylums in the Colony.
...out of, through, and back from New Zealand to the ends of the Earth

FRYER - MITCHELL - DUKE - WHYTE - McDONALD - TAYLOR - CARPENTER - HARRIS - WILLIAMS - CUNNINGHAME - LUCAS - WHITE - BOTHAM - HOLDAWAY - EYLES - OLSEN - CHASE - TRAILL - BAGGS - HASKINS - EDWARDS - CHING - SHIELDS - POLLARD - HOGAN - SMITH - STANLEY - HALL - ROBERTS - LARKHAM

Offline spades

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 17 July 18 09:49 BST (UK) »
The reference given is for this file.

https://archway.archives.govt.nz/ViewFullItem.do?code=25296721

I wonder if the Register has been indexed so you can order files for specific individuals? But you would think the Register would have its own reference number.

Spades
ELLERKER - Beverley ERY ENG
HEALEY - IRL?
MURDOCH - Wigtownshire SCT, Otago and Westland NZ
PALING - Nottinghamshire ENG
RILEY - Flamborough; Cottingham; South Dalton ERY, Manitoba CAN, & London ENG
STURTON - Arnold, Nottinghamshire ENG
SUTTRON - All, NRY & DUR ENG
TAYLOR - London ENG
TYLER - London ENG
TERNAN/TIERNAN - Dublin IRL