Author Topic: James templeton  (Read 2928 times)

Offline sharonsteinberg47

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James templeton
« on: Tuesday 17 July 18 07:44 BST (UK) »
I have been trying to find the family of a James Templeton transported 1802 convicted 1800 in Dundalk. absolute pardon 1803. I am finding it difficult to find that particulare name in Louth it seems much more prevalent in county Down and Monaghan. were the templetons planted from England in Leinster? or were they Planted from scotland? thanks in advance for any advice.

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: James templeton
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 17 July 18 13:13 BST (UK) »
peter mayberry convicts http://www.membes.pcug.org.au

James Templeton born 1778, ship Hercules 1 arrived in 1802 married Ann Tyler then Sarah Ann Scott

died sydney 1849

on family search

http://www.familysearch.org

no native place mention

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 17 July 18 13:22 BST (UK) »
Yes I realise no native place was mentioned. but I think no-one is going to travel far in those days. Sarah Ross was from Armagh and according to most historians the people living at the Rocks tended to live with people from the same part of Ireland they themselves came from. i was thinking that was the same with the Irish here in SA ...they tended to marry people from the same county they came from, if they had the choice.  If this is so then I am thinking he may have c ome from Armagh or Newry.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 17 July 18 13:38 BST (UK) »
I also suspect no native place was mentioned because he came from Dundalk.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 17 July 18 22:48 BST (UK) »
Yes I realise no native place was mentioned. but I think no-one is going to travel far in those days. Sarah Ross was from Armagh and  the people living at the Rocks tended to live with people from the same part of Ireland they themselves came from. If this is so then I am thinking he may have c ome from Armagh or Newry.

On the contrary- I've seen lots of instances where people were tried quite a distance from where they lived.
Not sure what the first sentence means- "according to most historians the people living at the Rocks tended to live with people from the same part of Ireland they themselves came from. i was thinking that was the same with the Irish here in SA ...they tended to marry people from the same county they came from, if they had the choice. "
Sometimes people married others that had come from the same area but sometimes not so you can't really assume. They did often marry (at least in the first generation) someone of their own religion but even then not always.

The problem with finding the name in Louth might just be the scarcity of records at such an early period.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 18 July 18 00:56 BST (UK) »
thank you for that. I can see I need to give up the idea of finding his birth. Once again thanks.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 18 July 18 08:49 BST (UK) »
thank you for that. I can see I need to give up the idea of finding his birth. Once again thanks.

I didn't say to give up  ::) What I do suggest is that you keep an open mind and keep searching everywhere for clues. What religion was James Templeton in Australia? Have you contacted all possible descendants to see if any different information or possessions have been handed down in the family?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 18 July 18 09:12 BST (UK) »
He is my cousins GG grandfather and they did not even know of his existence until i did his tree. He became a shoemaker in Cumberland street at the
rocks like a lot of Ex convicts. I expect he had nothing when he got here and just collected what they could afford during his life here. No idea of his religion as he lived in defacto relationships in Australia, does not seem to have applied for permission to marry. neither did his partners his 2nd "wife" was from Armagh. that is the one my cousin descends from. I was hoping someone had done a list of the most prevalent names from the different plantations, never mind. Thank you. sharon

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 19 July 18 14:58 BST (UK) »
did he get a pension? when he married what was on the marriage certificate?