Author Topic: PCC Will  (Read 1121 times)

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
PCC Will
« on: Tuesday 17 July 18 16:16 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to find within the Prerogative Court of Canterbury Wills set on Ancestry the Will of William Eyles of Braunston, Northamptonshire, proven 8 June 1654 according to the index on the National Archives website.  The reference on the index is PROB11/237/101 but that doesn't seem to correspond to the references on the digitised microfilms on Ancestry, nor does folio 241 which is contained in the index from the British Record Society on Findmypast for his Will.  I accept it may have got missed but the following and subsequent Wills from the index are viewable on Ancestry but there seems to be no rhyme or reason as to how the referencing works compared to the digitised microfilms.  The Will does appear in the search results on TheGenealogist within their digitised microfilms so I suspect it is probably contained in the set on Ancestry and perhaps not indexed but without the folio number from the microfilm image I'm struggling to find it.

Does anyone fancy having a look and see if they can find the microfilm folio reference for me please? 

I've tried just using the date or probate and variations on the name and place but nothing appears in the search results.  I know I could purchase a copy from the National Archives but am loathed to since it should be on Ancestry and in any case at some point I can probably access it on The Genealogist at a LDS Family History Centre (they have access to the Gold Subscription on the site which covers the Wills).  I can't make use of the free month offer with the Genealogist as I've done made use of that previously.

Thanks

Nicola
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: PCC Will
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 17 July 18 16:39 BST (UK) »
The folio numbers are shown in TNA’s image previews, accessed free on Discovery.

The will of William Eyles of Braunston, which was nuncupative, begins at the foot of folio 315 of the register. On Ancestry, you can access it by browsing to Piece 237: Alchin, Quire Numbers 202-253, image 646 (of 838).

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
Re: PCC Will
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 17 July 18 17:03 BST (UK) »
Thanks Bookbox well I've just learnt something new.  I'd never thought to check the preview image for the folio number. ::)  Thanks for that, I shall have to remember that for the future in case I have other issues with the Wills on Ancestry. ;D

Mind you I wouldn't have wanted to have paid £3.50 such a short Will. :o
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day